Oday 322 keel questions

wilf

Jan 25, 2017
oday 25 oday 25 long beach
Hi, first time post of question on here, im looking at and got an offer on a 87 322 so far as i have inspected its in pretty good shape but the only info i can see is from 10 years ago, it has 4 keel bolts but the aft one that only has washers on looks like the washer has completly corroded,
The other 3 have 3"×3"plates under them i wondered if they were standard or if they were replaced, i have heard stories of the later models having really thin fibreglass where the keel joins under the bilge area looking at the title i think the hull is number 17 anyone have any experience with this or can offer any advice? Im getting it surveyed in a few days time

Attachments

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Lots of information about the keel joint in various posts on the site. I have not dropped the keel on my 1988 built O'Day 322.

As far as the keel bolts, yours look like mine. Same plates on mine. The aft bolt is smaller diameter than the other 3, and mine only has washers.

Good luck with your purchase, I have owned mine for about 4 years, and I enjoy sailing her.

Greg

wilf

Jan 25, 2017
Thanks, i seen some of your posts on an older thread, I'm hopefully having it lifted out of the water today to check the hull i have noticed that i have never seen any 322's for sale here in california everyone ive seen even going back a few years have all been in florida and the east coast? Another question you could probably answer, where on the boat is the battery charger located?

Jan 7, 2011
On mine, the battery charger is located in the lazerette. I have a shore power connection in the lazerette as well. I also have a shore power connection in the forward anchor locker. Nice to have the option on this boat. My water heater is also located in the aft part of the lazerette.

Good luck with your inspection. I hope you find her in good condition.

Greg

wilf

Jan 25, 2017
Thanks, i seen the water heater in there butvnever noticed the charger, but will look again tommorow

Jan 7, 2011
mine is located on the forward bulkhead in the lazerette. Not sure if this was standard location for all builds or not. Look down and to the right when you open the lazerette.

Greg

Feb 22, 2010
Oday 322 Delaware River
Hi there,
I think I might have posted this picture somewhere else on the site at some point, but here it is .
Yes, those washer plates are the original build, as you say there are four bolts, three square and one round (not enough space for a square).
My boat did not have a battery charger, I put on in next to the batteries next to the sink drain through hull.

Attachments

wilf

Jan 25, 2017
Hi there,
I think I might have posted this picture somewhere else on the site at some point, but here it is .
Yes, those washer plates are the original build, as you say there are four bolts, three square and one round (not enough space for a square).
My boat did not have a battery charger, I put on in next to the batteries next to the sink drain through hull.
Thanks do you have a switch just inside the cabinet door under the kitchen sink and any idea what its for ??

Jul 15, 2014
Oday 322 Freeport, Bahamas
I hope you purchased Hull 17 - I've owned Hull 35 for almost three years and find her to be an exceptional boat (considering the price). In October she went through Cat 4 Hurricane Matthew (in the water) as the eye came ashore 6 miles to the west (Grand Bahama Island). Other than one broken lifeline, she suffered no damage. It was time to replace the linelines anyway. I bought two 50ft sections of Dyneema on Amazon and used that.
Gary - Freeport, Bahamas