O'Day 302 keel reinforcement

Aug 6, 2009
2 none NY
I am looking at an O'Day 302 as a replacement boat(C&C 33 with bad deck decontamination and other issues). I have read all about the keel issues and am not completely scared away. I am wondering if anyone has done a keel reinforcement and documented it. I have searched but have heard references to people doing it, but little in the way of info on what would be involved. Let me say it is not the perfect boat for me, but looks like it would be nice for a while. Oh and it is one dock over from mine, so it would certainly be convenient. I like the layout below with the one exception of lack of storage. But that seems to be an issue with all smaller modern boats. I am also looking at a Newport 33 that is about 40 miles away, but it does have unknown engine issues. (supposedly just needs a starter, but not sure how correct that is) The O'day 302 looks to be in decent shape and a fair price, but I am concerned about the keel issues. this happens to be one from the first year they were available so I am assuming it is one of the "early ones" that were supposed to be built with the thicker keel stub but even that does not seem to be very robust. I am looking for a small boat to live on for a few years, not a forever boat. I do prefer a decent sailing boat to a tub.

Please note I am not bashing the boat, as I am still considering it with the known faults. The way I look at it is all boats have there weakness, this one seems fairly easily addressed. If I do buy it I will document any work I do to it.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
My friend sailed one here in very rough waters and it was one of the very earliest 302's...never a problem..other than with the original furler...he then moved to Florida and sailed it there as well, along the west coast out of Ft. Myers....now it's back in Wichita...still a great looking, enjoyable sailboat. Pat

Jul 12, 2011
Oday 302 st pete
My keel was "reinforced" by the previous owner. I feel pretty good about it, see the thread: https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/302-doesnt-loose-keel.183078/

There is a metal plate running the inner length of the bilge/keel stub that the bolts mount through, as well as fiberglass wrapped around the exterior joint and faired in to the hull. Whether or not this provides any structure is up for debate, but I do feel good about the setup.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Be sure that you "test sit" the head compartment. The layout is very similar to the O'Day 322, and in that model is a tight fit for all of the interior accommodations, but useable for a person up to 6'3" (a friend of mine owned one for years).
While O'Day was a decent make of boat, you will find that it has some compromises over the basic construction of your C&C, like the hull-to-deck joint. Nothing likely to 'kill a deal' but just be aware that you are moving a bit down the scale, construction-wise and opting for a lower performance sail boat.

Let us know more details. Got any pix or a URL to share?
And, I would agree that O'Day must have (hopefully) learned something from the debacle of the keel attachment/poor scantlings problems of some of the prior 30 footers.

The are a good looking boat, and that's always a Good Thing.
:)

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
And, I would agree that O'Day must have (hopefully) learned something from the debacle of the keel attachment/poor scantlings problems of some of the prior 30 footers.
I think you have that backwards? Everything I've read has indicated that the keel issues were with the 302 and 322's,especially later in the production after the company had changed hands a bit. I've never seen any significant issues with the earlier 30's or other 2 digit models.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
O'Day must have (hopefully) learned something from the debacle of the keel attachment/poor scantlings problems of some of the prior 30 footers.

The are a good looking boat, and that's always a Good Thing.
:)
Unfortunately o'day was long gone long before any issues came to light so there was no one there to learn anything.
O'day always had an excellent reputation even if they were referred to as "a little pricey ". They were certainly built better than most of the era.

May 15, 2017
Oday 322 Mattapoisett
We just went through reinforcing the keel/sump arrangement. Boat is already sailing here in New England. The layup was poor on the 1989, 322 model we purchased. Had keel removed, layed up New keel sump, keel is back on with new backing plates and bed properly.