Oday 28 Hand Rails

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
Cool
thx
I'm guessing that will still work even though I've discarded the old rails. I'll use the angle of the cabin hole as the guide, right?

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
along the toe rail mounting area I have some cracks in the gel coat. I'm thinking I'll epoxy. No need for gel coat finish as they will not be visible. The cracks are open but small. Do I need to widen them somehow (how?) before applying epoxy?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Like Ward's idea.
I have used an existing through teak trim hole to establish the angle on my bench top drill press. Once set the thru holes are repeated in the new wood piece. Then I locate the wood piece / clamp it in place and using the wood as the guide drill the holes through the fiberglass. When I had to replace the trim on my M15, the clamped on teak was located over the potted holes. The drilled holes went right into the potted holes.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Cool
thx
I'm guessing that will still work even though I've discarded the old rails. I'll use the angle of the cabin hole as the guide, right?
That is what I used. The holes on the hand rails will be square to the rails. It's the cabin top holes that will be at an angle.

@Brian S recommended the drill angle attachment to me when I was having trouble drilling holes at the correct angle. I got mine from Harbor Freight.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
along the toe rail mounting area I have some cracks in the gel coat. I'm thinking I'll epoxy. No need for gel coat finish as they will not be visible. The cracks are open but small. Do I need to widen them somehow (how?) before applying epoxy?
I think the WEST website recommends using an old fashioned can opener to scrape out a "V" groove and then apply the epoxy. This is the kind of can opener that has a "V" shape on one end that you used to use to open beer cans before they invented pop tops. The other end was rounded to open beer bottles before they invented twist off caps. So pretty much any rigid piece of metal with a "V" shape will do the trick. Don't use epoxy if the repair will be in the sun, UV degrades it. You will need to add gelcoat over the epoxy or paint it to protect it. If it is entirely under the toerail you should be OK.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
scrape out a "V" groove and then apply the epoxy
Your objective is to create clean edges so that the replacement epoxy/ or/ gel coat has fresh material to adhere to. I've used a dermal tool to open up the crack. Clean the gouge with acetone soaked rag to remove all dirt and oils. Then apply the new epoxy/gel coat to fill the crack. It may take more than one application. You may also want to add a filler if the V-groove is too deep or wide. Be sure to carefully tape off the area you do not want epoxy. It is much easier to pull tape than sand slop over epoxy.

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
Depending on the kind of cracks it would be easier to do nothing. Gelcoat will eventually craze due to age. Gelcoats also crack because of impact and because of stress. If your cracks are only beneath the parts of the handrails I would guess it isn't age related. I don't think I would bother trying to repair them at all. I would bet yours are stress related and the bolts holding the rail in place were too tight and compressed the area. The trick is to make them tight enough but not so tight they begin to compress the deck. Here's a good read on gelcoat cracks, http://blog.dankim.com/2010/09/03/gelcoat-cracks/

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
looking for long screws 1/4 -20 8" long flat head. Fastenal struck out, bolt depot.com doesn't have bolts that long. Any tips on where to get such long screws (needed to mount traveler) would be appreciated

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Randall, Are you looking for bolts to through bolt your external hand holds through the cabin top into your internal hand holds? Normally you would recess the bolt heads. This will allow you to use shorter bolts. McMaster Carr as SS 6" 1/4 20 that may work for you. I couldn't find longer bolts there in SS.