Oday 272 LE Mast Foot Block Sheaves

Feb 27, 2018
Oday 272 LE Fairhope Pier
The sheave at the foot of the mast disintegrated and I'm looking for options on how to replace. Compounding the problem, I tried to run the halyard through the neighboring sheave which is in better shape but the halyard core separated from the outer cover and is stuck between the exit point and the sheave. It is extremely tight at the foot of the mast. My thoughts so far:

1) Try to run a new halyard back through the neighboring sheave
2) Tap out the old pin and install new pin and sheaves

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Get in the habit of fixing thing right. Your boat will be worth much more and for much longer if you do.

Feb 27, 2018
Jackdaw, thank you for the tip and reminder! I have learned the hard way that it is better to bite the bullet and have it done right than hacking my way through it but still need the reminder to do it right the first time. With that being said, is option 2 still the recommendation?

I've also thought about but am not sure what is involved to run the halyards external. The main benefit I see to that approach is the ability to see the entire halyard and having a failover in case something happens with deck organizers or clutch. Downside is having to unstep the mast or climb the mast. However, this probably needs to be done anyways seeing the condition of the sheaves at the foot.

I would like to have a better block at the exit point, mast or deck mounted, but with my limited knowledge I have been unable to come up with a solution.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I ordered new sheaves from Rig-rite in Rhode Island last spring as all of mine were cracked....They have the dimensions of the sheaves as I recall.....It was not hard to replace them other than avoiding the predicament you mentioned you mentioned above....the pins holding the sheaves just tap out leaving the rope loose...just make sure you have a lot of extra line pulled down and available for when you install the new sheaves....if you call Rig Rite they may still have my order..
Patrick Coulter in Wichita, Kansas....Good luck! by the way...when at the lake last Sunday, there were a bunch of guys out there bemoaning the demise of the sheaves ..top and bottom...most of the guys were saying theirs were plastic..Pat

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
If your pins are like mine, one end has small splines to bite into the metal. Drive the pins from the opposite end if you see the splines! You'd install the non-spline end first, push it through. then the spline end. If you have big channel-locks or clamps, you might try to squeeze the pin in, and not break off that precious metal.

Feb 27, 2018
Thanks so much for the information! Friends were able to help me get the halyard routed to the free decent sheave but I have been unable to complete the recommended due to the arrival of a new baby(sailing buddy).

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Thanks so much for the information! Friends were able to help me get the halyard routed to the free decent sheave but I have been unable to complete the recommended due to the arrival of a new baby(sailing buddy).
Well there are some things that absolutely take precedence, congrats on the new sailing future sailing buddy

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...I have been unable to complete the recommended due to the arrival of a new baby(sailing buddy).
You need to raise the child thinking the lazzarett is a playpen. Then you have someone for pulling wires in those small spaces:)