O'Day 26 Forward Hatch Troubles - Help Needed

Oct 2, 2017
O'Day O'Day 26 Cave Run Lake, Kentucky
I have a 1985 O'Day 26 that has not been modified. My forward hatch developed a leak and I ordered the hatch indicated on the site as the direct replacement for the hatch. After removing the original hatch I have determined that the replacement hatch is just slightly larger that the opening the original hatch occupied. The hole left after removal of the original is the correct size, but the new hatch is too tight to fit between the raised areas at the front and rear of the area for the hatch. Has anyone encountered this problem, and if so, how have you solved this? Any help would be appreciated!

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Surfer, Rudy at D & R Marine calls the raised areas around the glunt..(I think)....he should be able to help you.
Pat

Oct 2, 2017
Thank you Pat. I am familiar with D & R, but have not discussed this with Rudy yet. It appears that they sell the same hatch as Oday Owners. I determined today that the rough opening for this hatch is the same as the original (16-7/8 x 16-7/8), and that the mounting flange is approximately 19-1/8 x 19-3/8, as indicated on this site, but the problem is that the hatch lid actually overlaps the mounting flange and it is 20 x 20, which is larger that the area where the original hatch was mounted. The bottom line is that this hatch, while advertised as the replacement for the O'Day 26, is not a replacement at all, and will not work. Aside from the wasted time I now have the original hatch I removed duct taped to the deck. Hopefully it will withstand the coming rain. It would be nice if this site would do their homework before advertising products. Unfortunately, the only way to determine that this hatch will not fit is to remove the original. Thanks for the glunt term. I may need to know. Hope this helps any other O'day 26 owners in future. Regards, Michael

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I had to order a new hatch and Rudy at D & R was aware of the 'glunt' issue and directed me to a different hatch than the one proposed by the O'Day Owner's website.....the glunt is the issue; i.e. the 2-1/2 inch to 3 inch rise on
each side of the opening.....The correct hatch was not easy to install and evidently according to our Property Manager (Patrick) who installed it for us...it was a two person job....one to do the installation and someone to hold the hardware (sheeves, etc.) during the installation......I wish I cold give you more info, but I believe Rudy can. Pat

Oct 2, 2017
Thank you for your assistance Pat. I will attempt to contact Rudy again. Michael

Aug 9, 2011
oday 23 Toms River
Hi-- I had an Oday 26 years ago with a leaky forward hatch. Removed the hatch by cutting through the adhesive with one of my guitar strings , cleaned up adhesive , rebed the hatch and added foam weather strip to solve the problem. Explored replacement hatches but no luck. It had no other leaks. Great boat before the 28 purchase.

Oct 2, 2017
Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately, when I found my hatch was leaking I also found that the frame of the hatch had two cracks at angles at the rear corners. I suspect these were the source of the water intrusion. I did not have the presence of mind to attempt any repair on my hatch, as the frame itself actually came apart upon removal. I have ordered a new hatch that I hope will do the job. Thank you.