O'Day 25 vs O'Day 26?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I'm probably dumb, with a whopping 4-5 months of official O'Day 25 boat ownership I found a nice, newer O'Day 26 with a trailer. The upgrade would probably only be $2-3k assuming I sold my boat for about what I paid. There are a lot people looking right now in the marine and the boats for sale are considerably rougher then mine so I bet it would go fast. That said what am I getting with the 26 upgrade? It is a 5-6 hr drive to get it and I'm never seen a 26 in person. It is a centerboard with a newer 4 stroke 9.9 hp outboard also. Is there any increase in headroom? This really is the only issue I have with my 25 right now.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Honestly, if you are going to look for a different boat, you might want to just consider other brands. Maybe those that are at least still in business and those that are not known for "issues". And checking the sailboat data website, a 26 is what the number implies, slightly bigger than a 25. 700 pounds more and barely any more sail area. Step back from the edge.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks CB32863! Ya that thought is also in the back of my head too. Honestly we aren't really looking to upgrade but if the opportunity was worth it I could be convinced. As a family we are enjoying the 25 as a nice day sail boat, easy to use, big enough and not mint so as I screw up I'm not worried or upset with adding a few additional scratches and bruises.

Thanks also for the analysis on sail area to extra weight, I didn't even think of that. I wonder where the extra foot is, in the cockpit would be nice, cabin not as useful for us with out headroom increase.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
While the deck design and look of the 25 is clearly in the early 70s, the 26 has a much more modern look, befitting it being designed in the early-mid 80s and using more advanced molding and construction techniques. To my eye the 26 is much better looking. I'm pretty sure it uses the same mast as the 25, just with a slightly longer boom.

As on any O'day, take a hard look at any place they made a hole in the deck.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
[QUOTE="Jackdaw, post:

As on any O'day, take a hard look at any place they made a hole in the deck.[/QUOTE]

As with any O'day? I'd say as with any 30 year old boat.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Judging by your picture of the 25 that you have, she looks like a 1975 or 1976 model. So, to compare that boat to the newer 26, you will gain a fuel-tank locker built into the cockpit seat for safe, above-deck fuel tank storage. You will gain a foredeck anchor locker, the interior on the 26 is slightly different from the 25, not sure if headroom was really increased, but the 26intror is a bit better finished off. Styling of the boat is more modern, and everything (sails ,rigging, hull laminate, everything) will be circa-1983-85 (26 was built during the 1984-85 model years, a few MIGHT have been built during 1986 model year).
Only you can really decide if the upgrade is "worth it", but if you did go for it, you will be getting a better, newer boat...... is that worth the added $$$? Can't say, if you intend to own this boat for a while, the fact that everything is newer could make maintaining that boat easier, but in the long-run resale most likely won't allow recovering the added $$.

The fact that O'DAY is out of business (since 1989) isn't a deal-breaker to me, since D&R Marine can supply most O'DAY-specific parts and Rudy Nickerson there was Parts Dept. Manager at O'DAY from 1973-89 and has pretty good advice for any troubles, plus there are plenty of O'DAY 26 owners and former owners around to help.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Thanks mine is a 76 and this one is a 84. That said I tried contacting the seller 2 days ago and still no responce. The condition, trailer and newer outboard caught my attention.

Jun 29, 2010
The fact that O'DAY is out of business (since 1989) isn't a deal-breaker to me, since D&R Marine can supply most O'DAY-specific parts and Rudy Nickerson there was Parts Dept. Manager at O'DAY from 1973-89 and has pretty good advice for any troubles, plus there are plenty of O'DAY 26 owners and former owners around to help.
Not to be off putting but, D & R Marine is not going to be around forever. There is no one to take over currently once Rudy has had enough.

Nov 8, 2010
[QUOTE="Jackdaw, post:

As on any O'day, take a hard look at any place they made a hole in the deck.
As with any O'day? I'd say as with any 30 year old boat.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't. Some builders will not put deck penetrations in cored areas (solid glass only), or use wood as a structural building material.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Hi john,
You talk about boats in your marina but this one is a 5-6 hour drive so I am assuming you are only going by the owners description and photos? A 8 year newer boat could in fact be "older" if poorly maintained but I am sure you thought of this.

One thing not mentioned is rudder depth/keel depth issue. On the 25 the rudder extends a few inches deeper than the keel, so it is not protected by the keel in shallow water. I understand they fixed this on the 26 so the keel is slightly deeper. I'm not sure which one they changed, most likely the rudder.
I agree with Sunbird that there is no or minimal increase in headroom. Basically they stretched the boat a bit and fixed the rudder/keel depth issue and made cosmetic changes. The fuel tank storage and anchor locker storage were already on the 25 at that point. Nice to have that storage.

As probably with most marinas mine has a mix of 25's and 26's. A couple of owners of 26's I talked to said that they thought the 26 was built lighter as builders were learning that the fiberglass did not have to be as thick to have enough strength and O'day was looking for ways to cut costs while giving the 26 a more modern look.

If all your looking for is more headroom, it's probably a pass. Save those dollars for a 27 or 28 footer and you will probably get that headroom you need. (Plus higher maintenance costs.)
If your thinking you have a lot more work to do to upgrade hardware and other things on your boat, it is probably worth looking at compare it's condition and upgrades it brings over your current boat.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Great points everyone. This is probably dead as the owner hasn't even responded back. In our marina actually doesn't have a 26, several 25s in far worst shape. My boat is solid and does work for us. It has been a lot of fun and every trip out is something new.

Jack what manufacture should I keep an eye out for something with about 6' headroom? I looked at an O'day 28 with nice cabin space. Beneteau look very sweet and I find myself checking them out.

Nov 8, 2010
@John Tubb , while at the very limits of trailer-ability, the Beneteau First 265 is an awesome boat. Would sail circles around anything close. And while I can't know about any particular boat's systems, I will guarantee that the deck and chainplates will be solid. Because I know how there're built.

The boat is a world away from anything you know.

Last edited:

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
A 265 sure looks like a great boat, I've not seen one local but has seen the 235 and 285. The 235 is too small for us the 285 is a very nice upgrade.

Jun 29, 2010
I almost bought a 265 before I got my 235. I was poking around a day or two ago and couldn't find any 265's in the US for sale at the moment. A 285 would be a sweet ride for you as your kids grow. Just keep an eye out and you may find a nice deal on one, maybe even a 265. If I were ever to go up-size, a 265 would definitely be on the list. Anything much bigger on our lake is a bit much.

PS: Beneteau has been around for 135+ years for a reason......

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
285 are easier to find. There is one on the lake for $19k. I can't go that high this season but maybe next year.

Jun 29, 2010
285 are easier to find. There is one on the lake for $19k. I can't go that high this season but maybe next year.
The sailing difference will be like night and day. When I first sailed my 235, which is smaller than the old O'Day 25 I had, it was incredible how much better the 235 sailed. Faster, pointing, everything.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
Then wait until next year. I don't see the point really in moving from an Oday 25 to a 26, unless there is a big difference in how well it's been maintained. They are nice boats, but I wouldn't say they were really built to last 30+ years in pristine condition. If you can find a Beneteau 285 in good condition, you will not be sorry. Tons more room than your 25, nice design, fun to sail.