Oday 25 rigging question..

Feb 16, 2017
Okay 25 North East Md
I recently got an Oday 25 and I was told that there is a clasp(?) Missing at the back of the boom that attaches the sail to the boom (towards the stern) Does anyone know what that is and or has a picture of it?
I believe on my old Oday 222 we just tied the sail there.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
That looks like a clasp to tie a topping lift which I don't see in the picture...i.e. a rope from the aft end of the boom to the top of the mast to secure the boom and keep it (the boom/main) from falling into the cockpit.
maybe others have a better idea. Pat

Feb 16, 2017
Okay 25 North East Md
Thanks John. That kind of looks how I remember it. Pat...I would also be interested to see if others have different set-ups.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
My topping lift is terrible, it is just a rope loop around the mast, very redneck. We just got the boat and I need to change that out.

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Doug, In John's photo you can see the two holes at the top of the boom end clap. No problem with tying a line to the pressed ring of the sail and putting through the forward hole, then tying it off.
John ties the line to the sail, then runs it through a block (pulley) that is attached to the end cap. Then runs the line to some kind of capture device, most likely a clam cleat, on the side of the boom we cannot see. I have almost the same arrangement. Your topping lift can connect to the other hole on the boom cap.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Ward is correct, the outhaul line runs forward, actually on the side shown right at the foot of the sail to a cleat.

I wasn't sure if I should trust that clasp for a topping lift, there are 2 holes in the fitting at the end of the boom, one used for the outhaul and I believe the other for a topping lift connection.

See this link for the original rigging instructions, I found it helpful.

https://oday.sailboatowners.com/dl/downloads.php?task=model&mid=127&model=25