Oday 240 Purchase

Sep 11, 2013
Catalina 25 6106 Lake Erie Metro Park
I'm considering the purchase of an Oday 240. Currently, I own a Catalina 22. The boat appears to be in good shape but I haven't had the chance to see it rigged or examine the sails, etc. What things should I be looking for specific to an Oday 240?

Thanx,

Tom G

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
This is my 4th season with my 240. Great boat, handles well and the cabin layout was well thought out.

As far as what to look for I would say it's the same as any boat. Look for soft spots, check the bilge and make sure it's dry. Check the keel joint, although I have never heard of a problem with the 240's keel joint. That's more problematic with the 302 and 320. I would also check for leaking chain plates, stanchion bases and cleats. Pretty easy to tell due to the fabric liner. Leaks leave stain marks over time. You can basically expect leaks in one or all of those areas. Nothing that butyl tape can't fix. As long as the inner core isn't rotted.

Mine is leak free but that's because I re bedded those pesky areas.

I went from an O'day 22 to the 240. The difference in cabin space is very noticeable.

Jan 22, 2009
O'day 240 Muskegon
I just got my O'day 240 last year and have been working at it since. The biggest issue were the leaking port lights. But for just a few dollars I regasketted them. It stopped a problematic leak

Sep 11, 2013
Catalina 25 6106 Lake Erie Metro Park
Thanx Guys,

The boat that I'm interested in is two slips down from mine so I'm going to try and make friends with the current owner in the hopes he'll take me out for a cruise and maybe open up about the history of the boat. So far he's dropped that he's had it up for sale for the last three years at a price just shy of $6K. Does that sound high? I know that condition of the boat is a major factor in the value but as far as I can see it appears to be in fairly good condition. There are some nasty looking gelcoat cracks along the base of the cabin that concern me. I'll try to take some surreptitious pictures when the owner is not around and post them.
Questions:
Are these boats supposed to have a compression post under the mast? This one does not, but the mast hasn't been raised yet.
Does the boat require a long shaft outboard?

Thanx Again,

Tom G

Jan 22, 2009
O'day 240 Muskegon
I bought my 240 last year in Baltimore, MD. It came with trailer w/mast rising system & Evinrude 8HP long shaft for $4000. The boat was in good shape for being 29 years old. A couple weeks ago a 240 on eBay went for $2300 w/o trailer and in Florida

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
No compression post, and cracks along the base of the cabin? Sounds like a deal breaker to me... I have seen other boats being restored, and contemplated a support arch to replace a compression post. I believe it was a Chris Craft Commander? Regardless, after review by a naval architect, it needed a beefier arch structure than originally planned, even including carbon fiber in the layup.