O'Day 23 Trailer

Jan 9, 2018
O'Day 23 Rio Vista CA
I am having a hard time finding a trailer for my 1972 23 foot O'Day that has been in my family since 1972. I want to get the boat out of the Sacramento Delta and travel. I found a custom builder in North Carolina, but am hoping there may be something closer to CA. Any ideas?

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Welcome aboard Kev. Is your boat the 23 lift top? Keel stepped mast? http://www.trailrite.com/ built the trailer my 23-2 is on in 2002. Santa Ana CA. It's very easy to get more money into a trailer than the boat is worth. You might consider modifying a power boat trailer. If it is the keel stepped mast you might want to solve the problem of easily raising the mast on the road before proceeding with $$$. My other boat will need a different trailer in the near future, but I weld and have built several trailers. Never charged myself for my labor. Just the steel, running gear, paint,etc is going to cost $3500+.

Jan 9, 2018
O'Day 23 Rio Vista CA
Welcome aboard Kev. Is your boat the 23 lift top? Keel stepped mast? http://www.trailrite.com/ built the trailer my 23-2 is on in 2002. Santa Ana CA. It's very easy to get more money into a trailer than the boat is worth. You might consider modifying a power boat trailer. If it is the keel stepped mast you might want to solve the problem of easily raising the mast on the road before proceeding with $$$. My other boat will need a different trailer in the near future, but I weld and have built several trailers. Never charged myself for my labor. Just the steel, running gear, paint,etc is going to cost $3500+.
Thanks for the reply. My boat is not the lift top and is deck stepped mast. I will try to upload a picture. My dad ordered it in 1972 and I don't know the specific customizations he got. I helped install the forward hatch, but he did the mast step himself. The dimensions are exact to the 23-2, which they didn't build until 1978. I'm confused now because I can't find it on the internet. The original trailer has been gone for years.

Attachments

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I think they made a 23 fixed top for 1 or 2 years and a pop top and convertible top near the same time. If the boat has the same shoal/CB keel a 23-2 has, it would be easy to convert a powerboat trailer to fit. If you could bring the boat out on a sling or travel lift it would make it easy to set the pad/bunk height. It could still be done at a ramp if the water is warm and you have enough time. Son is getting married at the Grand Island Mansion in June and if we don't sell our 23-2 by then, we might look you up for some insight on sailing the delta.