O'day 23 solar project

Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
Went out for this season's maiden voyage on my brother's O'day 23, with him and a couple of his friends. After ducking back into the marina after an hour or so to avoid a squall that came over the lake, they headed out with longer drives to go, so I stayed behind and worked on installing a solar panel that I had picked up for it, as well as replaced the broken old compass with his new Richie Venture SR-2 that he had still in the box.

The solar panel is a 50 watt SunPower semi-flexible monocrystalline panel, mounted on top of the companionway hatch. That feeds down into a 10A pwm controller, and then paired with a small multi-function battery display meter mounted next to it. What we decided to do, is feet the wires through the interior bulkhead near the ceiling, where he has velcro strips already in place for mosquito netting. This way, when the hatch is slid shut, the wires can be held up out of the way with velcro strips. The panel itself is held down with 3M double-sided adhesive, and considering the 2nd storm of the day came through about 20 minutes after mounting it (if that), and it held up nicely, I'd say it'll work. It's charging a new Duracell Deep Cycle from Sam's Club I picked up last week.

Took some toying around to get the wires run, but now at least I have a good handle on how the wiring is run around that boat. Not the absolute prettiest, but other than needing to fix one pair of cables up a little neater, it's certainly doable for what he uses it for. The above picture is pre-finishing - they are actually neater than that, and I only had the DC panel in place temporarily because the Richie mounts on the other side, above it all, and I needed to remove the panel to reach my hand up to screw it in.

Speaking of.. I love Richie compasses, I really do. I do NOT like trying to somehow make it work in the bulkhead of this boat. With the "double" shell, yes there's enough room for the compass to mount in, but there's very little room to get your hand up in between with enough dexterity to actually screw the bolts in from the backside into the compass. Had the compass had regular screws like in the old days that would've just screwed it all from the outside, it would've been a 5 minute job (post-dremeling the hole larger to fit, that is). But, I managed to get it quite decently, and wired in with the running lights for the backlight. It looks crooked because of my awesome camera work, it's actually straight.

That leaves the only project that I want to do for the year, is make a DIY swing arm to mount my SH CPN-700i plotter on for the season, just because. He'll likely be selling the boat after this season. The nice part, is the only real expensive part of the setup, was the panel itself, and even that wasn't awful. But easily removed and re-used later. And the plotter just unbolts off the arm and unhooks, so it's not like it'll be going for sale too (can't seem to find a buyer for it anyway, so I might as well keep keeping it!)

Jan 14, 2014
Yep, he's had it 4 years now I think? Might be going on 5. I let my Excalibur 26 go at the end of last season to start to prepare for my next one, but he has his slipped nearby, and has given me a key to use it when I wish if they're not up that weekend. So in return, I'm doing little things that I can to make myself useful in trade :) That, and it gives me something to work on, and I like projects :)

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
CharlzO if you're looking for some place to go this winter that is warm and something to do , our O'Day 23 will be in the slip all winter. Just a couple of more projects. How long are your arms?

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
have the same compass and the same charge controller on my 23, don't suppose you have a link to that battery monitor do you?

Jan 14, 2014
I wouldn't be opposed to a road trip! I'd say my arm length is about 1" above average for a 6' tall guy :p

As for the battery meter, this was the one I used:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0J9XTG

There are a few versions from different mfrs but most are identical in setup. I was surprised at how thick the bulkhead was where I mounted it, would've been a lot easier with a better saw. I mounted the actual connection block inside the cockpit hatch, up out of the way and protected from water. I also used the USB cable to give a direct connection to the meter instead of using it wirelessly.

Jan 14, 2014
Yeah, for the price, I figured it couldn't be a bad chance at it, and it seems to give more information and options than a straight ammeter. Plus you can actually set up over/under current and voltage protections if you want, it has a relay built in for that, if you so choose. The charge controller has that too, so it's kind of redundant, but it was still a neat feature to have. I set my display to turn off after 60 seconds, but just tapping a button lights it back up to read. Not that there won't be enough charging to more than overcome for the very low draw it has, but figured no sense in having it lit up 24/7 if I'm not staring at it the whole time.

Jan 14, 2014
Also, here's a youtube video of an alternate version (this one appears to have both + and - ins and outs instead of just a shunt style, but the control unit is the same, and has the same menu/options. It's a much more technical video for the circuitry and things, but he does give a good show of the options and features as he plays with it.