O'day 20 Rub Rail

SUMB44

Jun 19, 2018
O'day 20 Port Tobacco
So the rub tail on my O'day 20 needs replacing, both the anchoring strip and the black rubber bit.

In one area a section of the anchoring strip is missing, in another area on the port side, aft, the rubber bit is coming off. Other than being rather unsightly, I have found the rub tail to be a source of water infiltration during heavy rains.

Anyone have any experience with this replacement? I imagine it must be done, or is advisable to do so, on the hard. Also, any pointers on proper methodology for sealing the fitting and screws against water would be appreciated.

Thanks

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I need to do mine too, I used butyle tape on my new toe rails and so far they seem to be working. I plan to do this unless there is anouther way someone says since I have a lot of butyle tape.

What I did was fill the screw hole with tape rolled up into a thick rolls. I then screwed in the screw to the toa rail with the tip just coming out. I put butyle tape on around the screw on the flat wood and then around screw head. Slowly screwed down and cleaned up excess.