Oda322 topping lift

Discussion in 'Ask An Oday Owner' started by curtisac, May 17, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. curtisac

curtisac

Joined Feb 10, 2009
    6 posts, 0 likes
    oday 322
    US Port Henry Marina
    can anyone tell me the correct way to attach the topping lift to the back of my z spar boom. I don’t believe the marina correctly did it right

2. SG

SG

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    1,443 posts, 273 likes
    J/Boat J/160
    US Annapolis
    Do you have a picture of what they did?

Do you mean just "attach" or "rig"? (e.g., does the topping lift have a block on it at the boom end? Does it run up from the boom-end to the masthead and then through (or over) a block; and, then down to the deck area to adjust from near the gooseneck or whatever? Etc.???

3. Tally Ho

Tally Ho

Joined Jan 7, 2011
    1,362 posts, 288 likes
    Oday 322
    US East Chicago, IN
    Here is a photo of how my topping lift attaches to the boom. Not sure what that little shackle is called...

81CBC1C3-32F9-4ECE-96E2-4A5CC148F2D6.jpeg

My topping lift ties off at a cleat on the mast. It is not run back to the cockpit. I seldom move it (usually just when I set my winter cover over the boom...to tighten the cover a bit).

Greg

4. wing15601

wing15601

Joined Aug 28, 2015
    151 posts, 38 likes
    Oday 28
    US St Joseph, MI
    Installed a Boomkicker and removed the topping lift. Don’t miss it at all.

5. SG

SG

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    1,443 posts, 273 likes
    J/Boat J/160
    US Annapolis
    Greg / Tally Ho:

That's on you're post looks like it was intended for a much larger load than just a "little topping lift". Did the boat have a Dutchman or something else?

CurtisAC:
    My topping lift ties off at a cleat on the mast. It is not run back to the cockpit. I seldom move it (usually just when I set my winter cover over the boom...to tighten the cover a bit)
    Sometimes, I've seen Oday's with little block on a shackle that attaches to the topping lift above the boom. Then a line runs up- to the topping lift and then down from the boom end. Then it runs through another block and along the boom to toward the goose neck. It's then adjustable from forward. Sometimes people have a roller furling main -- that's a different set-up requirement.

You can have a set-up like Greg showed, but then you have to go "up" to the masthead and then "down" toward the deck along the mast.

Again, what is the rest of your story? Pictures are worth a lot in helping....

6. Tally Ho

Tally Ho

Joined Jan 7, 2011
    1,362 posts, 288 likes
    Oday 322
    US East Chicago, IN
    I don’t think Tally Ho had a Dutchman. That shackle is not real heavy duty, but holds the boom up just fine.

As someone else noted, you could use a boom kicker instead. I had one on my Hunter 280. That boat had no backstay (B&R rig) and no topping lift. I could run a very full roach main since there was nothing in the way behind the mast.

Greg

7. SG

SG

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    1,443 posts, 273 likes
    J/Boat J/160
    US Annapolis
    I was wondering about the apparent diameter of the line. The shackle size seems a function of the boom end.

8. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    10,277 posts, 3,293 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    Even with a solid vang or boomkicker, a topping lift function is a good idea. It will fully support a person falling against the boom, and the tension between it and mainsheet keep the whole thing steady when moored. Most performance minded sailors remove any dedicated topping lift and attach the main halyard to the end of the boom to serve the exactly same purpose. And it keeps the halyard from slapping the mast.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  9. Tally Ho

Tally Ho

Joined Jan 7, 2011
    1,362 posts, 288 likes
    Oday 322
    US East Chicago, IN
    Not sure what diameter. About the same as my main halyard I think. Maybe a little lighter.

Greg

10. SG

SG

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    1,443 posts, 273 likes
    J/Boat J/160
    US Annapolis
    Greg, For example, if the halyard is (say 1/2:") I'd guess you could get by with 3/8"for the topping lift. You just need to hold the boom up and some stretch is okay. If it's a spare main (like for a storm tri sail) then maybe big halyard would make sense.

11. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    10,277 posts, 3,293 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    1/2 inch? The boat has a 220 sqr/ft mainsail. That seems too big by half.

12. Tally Ho

Tally Ho

Joined Jan 7, 2011
    1,362 posts, 288 likes
    Oday 322
    US East Chicago, IN
    Yeah, I don’t know for sure, it was on the boat when I bought her. It can certainly be used as a spare halyard, a safety line when climbing the stick, a big line to hold up the boom when pulling something heavy up from the water or down below...

Doesn’t bother me, would not change it at this point.

Greg

13. Tally Ho

Tally Ho

Joined Jan 7, 2011
    1,362 posts, 288 likes
    Oday 322
    US East Chicago, IN
    I pulled my O’Day 322 manual from the boat tonight and it lists main halyard and topping lift both as 3/8”.

Main sheet and Genoa sheets are listed as 7/16”.

Greg

Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates