Oceanis 40 Comments

Oct 21, 2016
Beneteau 323 NH
Hi All,
I'm close to making an offer on a 2009 Oceanis 40. Furling main, 54HP Yanmar. Any general positive or negative comments from other owners? We do a lot of day sailing but also take week long cruises along MA/NH/ME. While we like comfort, sailing performance is important to me in common wind of 8-10 knots. And of course when it blows harder at 20 knots.

Thanks,
Russ

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I think the Oceanis 40 was fitted with a Yanmar 3JH4e, a 3 cylinder 40hp engine, not the 4JH3e which is a 4 cylinder 54 HP engine. But a more important consideration - does it have the saildrive configuration? That is a lot of underwater aluminum and maintenance Most important to me would be whether it was a 3 cabin version or the owner version 2 cabin. The 2 cabin has some features essential to me, a sea-galley tucked in beside the companion way that frees up the saloon and gives you another passable sea-berth. The forward head on the 3 cabin version is useless and robs the owners cabin of useable space.

You will want to know the state of the mainsail roller furling system. A bagged-out worn sail would be a problem and pending expense. The classic sail is easier to maintain. Beneteau brought back the fixed deck light for some reason on this boat, so you can expect regular efforts to stem leaks, and eventual replacement.

This was one of the first Beneteau’s to come out with the plumb stem hull which compromises the ground tackle system - a spindly bow roller cantilevered out over the bow in an effort to save your gelcoat. This is paired with what looks to be an undersized vertical windlass. This suggests that the boat is focused on performance, not cruising. Another good reason for stepping up to a high performance sail plan, perhaps a roller A-sym.

In the cockpit and down below the boat is large and Beneteau beautiful. In the 2 cabin version it looks very similiar to my B411. However the cockpit is significantly more open with the two wheels and reduced scoop stern.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2016
Beneteau 323 NH
Thanks Gunni,
There was an optional 54hp which a lot of them have. This version is not a sail drive. Yes, 2 cabin. I have a furling on my current 323 so I'm familiar with that whole deal. It also has an asym spinnaker. Hoping some 40 owners will comment too.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Russ. The Beneteau is a beautiful boat. If it call you to her, you may need to listen to the Sirens call.

Gunni has the experience with the boat and his observations are worth consideration.

I read your question as not only excited by the boat, but wanting to have a certain sailing experience in using the boat. Attached find a posting by Yachting Monthly that gets into a discussion about what makes boats different sailing in blue water.
https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/yacht-reviews/understand-boat-statistics-30154

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
We have a 37, which is a smaller cousin to the 40. Overall we like the boat and the build quality is good. Agree with Gunni on the difficulties with managing the anchor between the plumb bow, roller, and windlass. Downwind the performance is just ok unless you're willing to fly an asym. Upwind is not bad at all.

NHB40

Dec 23, 2018
Beneteau Oceanis 40 New Castle, NH
Yes, it's staying on the Cape for the Winter and will bring it to NH in the Spring. Super excited. I'll take any insights you have regarding the boat. Sailing, maintenance, etc.

Apr 13, 2011
Beneteau 40 Chicago
Congratulations!
Just a couple of upgrades I had installed:
extra 200 amp house battery in lasserette along with
west marine 3000 watt inverter
upgraded Alternator from standard 80 amp to a 120 amp Balmar with a Balmar A-5 voltage regulator to charge the batteries
Just do the usual maintenance in the spring..change out the impeller, oil and filter, fuel seperator gasket, fuel filters, if over 500 hours change the antifreeze.
You may want to service the Gulper 220 shower pump with a rebuild kit as it has a habit of getting gummed up over time creating a backflow.
A AIS650 Class B Transceiver with a AIS100 Antenna Splitter would be a nice addition for your delivery trip.
Fair Winds,
Chris

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
@russconde ,
Good afternoon! The Oceanis 40 seems to be a very nice boat, and is indeed very comfortable and is well known for its performance as a racer/cruiser. The only drawback I've ever heard is about the roller-furling main; the furler often jams, and the sail shape has very little roach. I've seen multiple Beneteaus in Galveston Bay with the leech of their mains flapping like a rag. Other than that, heck yeah...I'd buy one!

May 1, 2019
Beneteau 40 Gig Harbor, WA
Question for Beneteau40sailor - when you upgraded your alternator, did you have to recalibrate the tach? Just bought a 2010 B40 and when the mechanical inspection was done, the meachanic said the tach was way out of synch. He gave me a cheat sheet of the correct RPMs, but I would like to recalibrate the tach and not sure how. Your experience?

Apr 13, 2011
Beneteau 40 Chicago
Kenrait:
My mechanic did the same for me.
I used a label maker... "3600 RPM Cruise".. posted above the tach. which is alot simpler than
recalibrating .....
Chris