Oberdorfer pump questions

Aug 11, 2010
Catalina 30 30 Mk 11 Brisbane
Hi,
My 1989 Catalina Mk11 is fitted with a M25XP engine and Oberdorfer raw water pump (cover gasket model). Never had any issues with cooling despite our current seawater temp @29C. I want to change out my impeller and have not been able to source an OEM one here in Australia. I have however found an Ancor impeller (part# AN2052) which is dimensionally the same as the Oberdorfer #6593 except that the recess in the faces of the impeller are a smaller diameter which means the brass/bronze washers will not fit. I am wondering whether these washers are essential for the efficient operation of the pump? I have seen various parts diagrams e.g Catalina Direct and these don't even show the washers. Also curious about the circlip/snap ring. Can't see what purpose it serves as the impeller is obviously captive inside the pump body.
Does anyone have any thoughts on these issues?
Cheers
Kevin

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
I would check www.marinepartssource.com for the parts as that is where I and others have gotten our Oberdorfers from. They were competent with their advice and information and responded promptly to questions and concerns their toll free number is 866.388.0390

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Hi,
My 1989 Catalina Mk11 is fitted with a M25XP engine and Oberdorfer raw water pump (cover gasket model). Never had any issues with cooling despite our current seawater temp @29C. I want to change out my impeller and have not been able to source an OEM one here in Australia. I have however found an Ancor impeller (part# AN2052) which is dimensionally the same as the Oberdorfer #6593 except that the recess in the faces of the impeller are a smaller diameter which means the brass/bronze washers will not fit. I am wondering whether these washers are essential for the efficient operation of the pump? I have seen various parts diagrams e.g Catalina Direct and these don't even show the washers. Also curious about the circlip/snap ring. Can't see what purpose it serves as the impeller is obviously captive inside the pump body.
Does anyone have any thoughts on these issues?
Cheers
Kevin
The snap ring is unnecessary. The only function it could serve is to keep the shaft from pulling out of the back of the pump when it is off the engine. I ran this pump for years without the clip with no ill effect.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Amazon has the 6593 impeller if that works in Australia. And you can throw the clip away. If the pump were mounted as a belt drive, you'd need it. But not on a Universal.

Jan 19, 2017
Northstar 1000 Wellfleet. Mass.15 years
just ordered blue globe inpeller and other parts from for my atomic 4 from Marine Parts Source -615-285-0575

Jan 28, 2017
Catalina 30 Mk II Yorktown, VA
I just ordered a globe impeller and gaskets to fit the old oberdorfer - the one with the screw head visible between the inlet and outlet lines-from TOAD supply online. They also had other options for this pump. Cannot help you on the clip question, but it looks like you have answers already.