"O" ring for fuel filler cap.

Weasel

May 23, 2004
Beneteau 331 Iuka, MS
Merry Christmas All!
I need to know if anyone knows the size of the "O" ring for seating the fuel filler cap on a Beneteau 2004 331. I thought about taking it off but it looks somewhat distorted and I don't want to damage it. I' m thinking this may be metric but don't know. Don't want to spend $72.00 on an "O" rink kit from West Marine and only use one of the rings. Any advice would help

Thanks

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Does the fixture have any markings to indicate who the manufacturer might be? Benetau does not manufacture the filler tubes and caps.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Take the O off and go to the plumbing supply of the hardware store. And make a note of it's size in your log book.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus:On Ron20324. I had no info on the rings. Able to get two from NAPA to match.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Take the O off and go to the plumbing supply of the hardware store. And make a note of it's size in your log book.
Yup! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Simplest and least expensive.

With no "marine" label on it, either. :)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
With no "marine" label on it, either. :)
That would be an extra 30% at least. I like to add a wipe of silicon grease to the o ring at install. Find it helps to extend the life. Found at any good plumbers shop or plumbing department of your favorite box store.

Dec 29, 2015
Beneteau 473 Mukilteo WA
Any Ace Hardware has a full selection of O-rings. Just take it off and bring it with you. You only have to purchase what you need.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Would this O ring see the light of day? I used a hdwre store ring on my tach in the cockpit and it was deteriorated in one season....

Oct 13, 2013
Beneteau 37 Oceanis Platinum Edition Seabrook, TX
You want to purchase a "Viton" O-Ring which is chemical resistant. There are O-Rings and there are O-rings.

Weasel

May 23, 2004
Beneteau 331 Iuka, MS
Thanks everyone. I will try to get a Viton ring. Will check the net.

Thanks again

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I took mine off and measured it with it with a small pocket micrometer I keep aboard for these kinds of assessments. Then I ordered a bag of 10 from McMaster-Carr for a small fee. As Pilgrimex notes Viton is rated for diesel fuel exposure. I found that the same o-rings fit my water and waste fill caps.

Jan 22, 2008
Gunni said:
...I took mine off and measured it with it with a small pocket micrometer I keep aboard for these kinds of assessments. Then I ordered a bag of 10 from McMaster-Carr for a small fee. As Pilgrimex notes Viton is rated for diesel fuel exposure. I found that the same o-rings fit my water and waste fill caps.
Well, comeon, Gunni-man... what size was it and/or what McMaster number? I am about to order a piece of stainless tube and would order the rings.

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
I use 224 o-rings in mine. 1 3/4" ID Buna-N 70. Viton will work but generally Viton is used in high heat applications. The chemical resistance for petroleum products is the same for both. Lubricate the o-rings with vaseline petroleum jelly.

I don't know if the fill caps are the same but Beneteau and Hunter don't make there own.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
You boys are hard task masters! OK logged in to McMaster Carr - here are the specifications:
Product Detail
Chemical-Resistant Multipurpose O-Ring, Viton®, 3/16 Fractional Width, Dash Number 326
About $1.14 USD each, 10 to a bag.

Jan 22, 2008
Gunni said:
...OK logged in to McMaster Carr - here are the specifications: Product Detail Chemical-Resistant Multipurpose O-Ring, Viton®, 3/16 Fractional Width, Dash Number 326 About $1.14 USD each, 10 to a bag.
I'll give you $10 for 5 of them, just for the convenience. I'll be at the Boatyard Grill/Eastport the 3rd., 11:30.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Ha! Sorry, I will be winter camping in the Blue Ridge on the 3rd, nurturing my inner Hillbilly.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I use 224 o-rings in mine. 1 3/4" ID Buna-N 70. Viton will work but generally Viton is used in high heat applications. The chemical resistance for petroleum products is the same for both. Lubricate the o-rings with vaseline petroleum jelly.

I don't know if the fill caps are the same but Beneteau and Hunter don't make there own.

Where do you get yours from.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
McMaster-Carr also sells the Buna-N o-ring. Just make sure to change them out every year as they aren't as weather-resistant.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
McMaster-Carr also sells the Buna-N o-ring. Just make sure to change them out every year as they aren't as weather-resistant.
Thanks, I was looking for a Canadian source. Jake is an hour away from me, so was wondering where he got them from.