Nothing beats actual sailing...but a couple projects finished feels pretty good

Aug 18, 2016
Catalina 30 mkII 5917 Muskegon, MI
Wanted to share a couple projects I got done on my Catalina the past two weekends
First, a one man mast raising and lowering system that I saw on YouTube. Mr Steve Hock was helpful with specs and photos so I could fabricate the same. So effortless and feels safe. Hope you enjoy the photos and update
Welded in plenty of added steel to the trailer mast support as it anchors the raising system
Installed the Pop Top Power Lift from CD
And lastly got the old canvas out for a fitting after previous owner said it was very old...it fit with some force

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
:)
I'd like to get a pop top gas support eventually.
Though, since I'm occasionally a cheap b*****d, I figure I'll do the DIY method and buy the components and make my own kit.

The cover fitting tightly, seems common. The one on my 87 is also a tiny bit too snug. Over time, I think it should stretch a bit with use in the hot sun.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Yep one thing you can do is what I used to do before putting the bimini back on the rods was to let it sit in the sun for a couple of hours first, warms it up and makes it softer to work with too.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
:)
I'd like to get a pop top gas support eventually.
Though, since I'm occasionally a cheap b*****d, I figure I'll do the DIY method and buy the components and make my own kit.

The cover fitting tightly, seems common. The one on my 87 is also a tiny bit too snug. Over time, I think it should stretch a bit with use in the hot sun.
I think @$tingy Sailor was working on a less expensive power lift kit, with stainless struts?

Our boat came with the CD lift kit already installed. We like it, and it's a fairly important safety upgrade as well, since the poptop could do a number on someone's fingers if it came loose and dropped full force. (The CD rep told me that's why it was invented in the first place.) The little plastic end-pieces on the struts do wear out regularly. Not sure if this is inherent in the design, or if it has something to do with the PO's installation. But CD sells them fairly cheaply, so I keep some on hand and replace them as needed.

Our cover is super tight, too. Practice helps, but it takes a lot of thumb strength regardless. Sometimes I get lazy and don't bother fastening the aft snaps, which are the hardest. It's an indispensable piece of kit though, I wouldn't be without one. :)

Feb 11, 2015
Catalina 22 Lake Jacomo
Glad your enclosure still fits. I'm on my third season with my '84 and the canvas fit initially but it took a lot of convincing and even then I couldn't zip the companionway shut. After the first two or three times it started to get harder to do. Many have given the tip about leaving it in the sun for a while (and it helps a bit), but someone also told me to snap it on with the top down and then slowly lift it up. I tried it after a long sit in the sun and ripped a snap right out of the side of my cabin top. Won't be doing that again. Anyway, mine seems to have shrunk even more in the short time I've owned in, I can no longer snap the entire front (or even come close). In fact, if I start at the back, I can only get the companionway snapped and the aft corners and if I'm lucky, two snaps on each side. I found some homemade snap extenders tucked away that the PO made and sure, they will keep the bottom edge from flipping up in the wind, but the whole thing is starting to look like a fat chick in booty shorts. I think the ultimate solution will be deconstructing the enclosure and adding an inch around the perimeter of the top, an inch between the sides and the back, and probably some at the zipper. But then, if I'm gonna go that far I may as well just sew a whole new top from Sunbrella and be done with it.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
likewise been waiting for Stingy's version...
I'm too cheap to buy a kit. I've got enough photos of how they can be mounted, and it's a simple task to buy some stainless struts. You can even buy ones with adjustable force so they will work 100% as needed.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Snaps kinda bite. Have a look at Tenax fasteners from Sailrite. These things aren't overly cheap, but for a cover that goes on and off, they're way better.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
That mast raising system is great. I built one myself last month out of 2 pieces of 4" angled 1/4" aluminum "L", bolted together to form a "U", and cut slits on the sides for ratchet straps to go through, to hold it to the mast. Bolted an old Catalina keel winch to it, and used the same bolt holes to also join the two "L"s together.

Feels MUCH safer, and more controlled, to be able to hold the mast and crank the winch at the same time. If anyone else is looking at the idea, I'd also strongly endorse it. Really a huge improvement in my experience.

Oct 4, 2010
76 Catalina 22 Three Mile Harbor, East Hampton, NY
I built one myself last month out of 2 pieces of 4" angled 1/4" aluminum "L" said:
do you a few photos of your set up