not so Merry Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe Phibbs

A Hunter sailboat lost its rudder off N.C. coast. Rescuers battled high seas to get to site and tried first to tow her to Norfolk, then to Oregon Inlet. Sailboat crew of 3, plus cat are safe, but boat is on beach at Pea Island. Regretably, the story contains the frustrating bad luck of parted tow lines, high seas, cold weather, and tough decisions to make. Coast Guard did their superb job (again). The Graveyard of the Atlantic almost claimed another. Any comments after you all read the article, etc.? Take care, (very good care) Joe

J

Joe Phibbs

A Hunter sailboat lost its rudder off N.C. coast. Rescuers battled high seas to get to site and tried first to tow her to Norfolk, then to Oregon Inlet. Sailboat crew of 3, plus cat are safe, but boat is on beach at Pea Island. Regretably, the story contains the frustrating bad luck of parted tow lines, high seas, cold weather, and tough decisions to make. Coast Guard did their superb job (again). The Graveyard of the Atlantic almost claimed another. Any comments after you all read the article, etc.? Take care, (very good care) Joe

T

Tom

A 26 footer in the Atlantic in December?

Making a passage to the Caribbean. That would call for an almost perfect weather window. Which is probably near impossible this time of year. Maybe the ICW would have been a better choice. Tom

T

Tom

A 26 footer in the Atlantic in December?

Making a passage to the Caribbean. That would call for an almost perfect weather window. Which is probably near impossible this time of year. Maybe the ICW would have been a better choice. Tom

M

Mike Collier

In a word,

the skipper of the h26 is an idiot. If that is too severe, I could add a few adjectives. The Intracostal Waterway was cut through inside the Outer Banks for several resaons. The least of which is so recreational boaters can avoid Cape Hatteras (the Graveyard of the Atlantic).

M

Mike Collier

In a word,

the skipper of the h26 is an idiot. If that is too severe, I could add a few adjectives. The Intracostal Waterway was cut through inside the Outer Banks for several resaons. The least of which is so recreational boaters can avoid Cape Hatteras (the Graveyard of the Atlantic).

Nov 7, 2004
- - Cortlandt Manor, NY
How common is this?

I've heard and read about several hunters losing rudders in the past year. Is this avoidable? Is it a design flaw? Should sailors make passage only in boats with skeg mounted rudders or full keels?

Nov 7, 2004
- - Cortlandt Manor, NY
How common is this?

I've heard and read about several hunters losing rudders in the past year. Is this avoidable? Is it a design flaw? Should sailors make passage only in boats with skeg mounted rudders or full keels?

D

Dave Winiker

Getting the Facts Straight

Gentlemen, One look at the photo in this morning's paper and even the most casual observer could see that the boat was MUCH longer than 26 ft. A quick check of the Hunters Owner's Directory revealed that it was, 1n fact, a 46 footer. Our local paper doesn't always get the facts straight.

D

Dave Winiker

Getting the Facts Straight

Gentlemen, One look at the photo in this morning's paper and even the most casual observer could see that the boat was MUCH longer than 26 ft. A quick check of the Hunters Owner's Directory revealed that it was, 1n fact, a 46 footer. Our local paper doesn't always get the facts straight.

J

Jeff D

HUnter rudders

The question I have about Hunter rudders is who manufactures them? Foss Foam used to be the source for Hunter and numerous other manufacturers. Are they still the supplier? I have never been very impressed with their manufacturing process which makes the rudders prone to water absorbtion and splitting. IDA Sailor rudders, available on this site, seem to work much better and are guaranteed for life. Foss seems to be relying on 25 yr. old technology. No doubt Foss would tell you Hunter did the specs but it would seem logical that Foss would provide some input. As far as Hunter specifically having rudder problems, given the number of boats they have produced, the odds are that Hunter would have more problems than lower volume manufacturers. By the way, some time back on another site as I recall, Bob Perry indicated that his personal preference is a spade rudder. In fact his personal boat has a spade rudder and an iron keel which he does not bother him at all.

J

Jeff D

HUnter rudders

The question I have about Hunter rudders is who manufactures them? Foss Foam used to be the source for Hunter and numerous other manufacturers. Are they still the supplier? I have never been very impressed with their manufacturing process which makes the rudders prone to water absorbtion and splitting. IDA Sailor rudders, available on this site, seem to work much better and are guaranteed for life. Foss seems to be relying on 25 yr. old technology. No doubt Foss would tell you Hunter did the specs but it would seem logical that Foss would provide some input. As far as Hunter specifically having rudder problems, given the number of boats they have produced, the odds are that Hunter would have more problems than lower volume manufacturers. By the way, some time back on another site as I recall, Bob Perry indicated that his personal preference is a spade rudder. In fact his personal boat has a spade rudder and an iron keel which he does not bother him at all.

T

Tom

Initial Report Incorrect

O.K. A 46 footer makes more sense and the weather does not look that terrible. Another rudder failure... http://obsentinel.womacknewspapers.com/articles/2004/12/28/top_stories/tops0031.txt

T

Tom

Initial Report Incorrect

O.K. A 46 footer makes more sense and the weather does not look that terrible. Another rudder failure... http://obsentinel.womacknewspapers.com/articles/2004/12/28/top_stories/tops0031.txt

Mar 28, 2004
Hunter 27_75-84 Meg n Kate
Could some one

find out exactly how the rudder failed? Did the glass & foam separate from the rudder tube or was there another problem. If other people don’t want to suffer the same fate it is important to learn exactly how the rudder failed and then check our own boats for signs of similar problems.

Mar 28, 2004
Hunter 27_75-84 Meg n Kate
Could some one

find out exactly how the rudder failed? Did the glass & foam separate from the rudder tube or was there another problem. If other people don’t want to suffer the same fate it is important to learn exactly how the rudder failed and then check our own boats for signs of similar problems.

abe

Jan 2, 2007
- - channel islands
Another 46 with a lost rudder...

a few months ago I listed about 5-6 H46s with rudder problems-lost or broken. There must be something wrong with the H46 rudders....I think its time Hunter steps up to the plate and address this issue. Wonderlust lost its rudder, the captain claiming he thought he hit something in the middle of the ocean. B.S., I think it was another rudder failure. I love my H36, but if I ever want to go on long cruises in a bigger boat, I would be reluctant to buy a H46. abe

abe

Jan 2, 2007
- - channel islands
Another 46 with a lost rudder...

a few months ago I listed about 5-6 H46s with rudder problems-lost or broken. There must be something wrong with the H46 rudders....I think its time Hunter steps up to the plate and address this issue. Wonderlust lost its rudder, the captain claiming he thought he hit something in the middle of the ocean. B.S., I think it was another rudder failure. I love my H36, but if I ever want to go on long cruises in a bigger boat, I would be reluctant to buy a H46. abe

abe

Jan 2, 2007
- - channel islands
BTW, take a look at the pictures...

I hardly call that rough seas... 6-8ft and not much caps on the water. abe

abe

Jan 2, 2007
- - channel islands
BTW, take a look at the pictures...

I hardly call that rough seas... 6-8ft and not much caps on the water. abe

Status
Not open for further replies.