Not all Yanmar 2gms exhausts take the are the same

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
So some of you may remember mynthread asking about HDI Marine’s stainless mixing elbow. All thumbs up so I bought the “GM replacement kit” with the lower mixing elbow, riser, upper mixing elbow and gasket. It arrived timely, I go to take the old one off. Amazing, a four minute job including getting the hoses off. I am like woohoo, easy peasy lemon squeezy. I get the old one off and can see the old elbow is badly clogged. But no worries, I have the replacement parts in this box right here. So I take the old elbow to the vice at the club and apply a little too much torque with my giant pipe wrench and sheer the upper elbow and the riser. No biggie, I’ve got the parts. Right? Then I get out my magic new part, and while the lower elbow fits the engine, it won’t fit in my engine compartment. See the picture below and compare the old and the new.

Turns out HDI does not yet make the lower elbow I need. They are happy to take the lower elbow back and give me credit. They’ve been great. They will start making the lower elbow I need in five or six months. So my Yanmar dealer has ordered my lower elbow and I will use the stainless uppermelbow and riser. Live and learn!

Attachments

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Forgive the typos in the thread title, I went back to edit the title and it wouldn’t let me

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Still nothing wrong with lower elbow if you have a new coupling you just need to put a saw into old coupler and make some relief cuts to get old one out

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Still nothing wrong with lower elbow if you have a new coupling you just need to put a saw into old coupler and make some relief cuts to get old one out
Yep that's the plan.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Be sure to clean and paint it first ;) I painted the new SS elbow and engine adapter to match the Yanmar grey.
I also had to order a new gasket from Niemec when I replaced my setup.
Can they revise their ordering info so it doesn't happen again?

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Be sure to clean and paint it first ;) I painted the new SS elbow and engine adapter to match the Yanmar grey.
I also had to order a new gasket from Niemec when I replaced my setup.
Can they revise their ordering info so it doesn't happen again?
Justin, where did you find the Yanmar grey paint?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Justin, where did you find the Yanmar grey paint?
I thought I got it from Niemec when I got the gasket, but I looked and it's not there anymore. T.O.A.D. says to call them for it.

Sorry, we did not find a match for your query.
Please try again using the search box to the left.
You may also contact us by email, phone 616-820-0022 or fax 616-396-1136
If you have questions, email customerservice@torresenonline.com.​

Last edited: