Not a question, more a "hell yea"!

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
Owned No Hurry, an O'day 23-2 for 3(this is our 4th) years.
Today was the first time we "raced" no clue, really should be the name of the boat, but for whatever dumb luck reason, we were first off the line and led for maybe 500 yds.
This was in "no wind" 2-3 mph, awful sailing.
We rounded the buoy, in 2nd place, everyone hunting for wind, suddenly it picked up a little!
We were heeled at 10 degrees, my wife screaming we were going to die, the kids screaming "go faster"!
Maybe 20yds from the finishing line, the wind went to nothing!
Ended up being the closest 45 minute 15yard race ever! :)
We ended up 4th after rating adjustment, but freaken loved every minute of it!!!
I've been down since my little episode last year, but this may have put a foot up my arse!
We got off the boat, and my wife and kids were jumping!
Awful sailing, some of the worst to date for me, but by far the biggest smile!
Sorry, just wanted to share

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Sounds like fun! We took our son out racing with us for the first time tonight and took first place. He had a good time.

Bob R.

Jun 5, 2004
Marlow-Hunter 40 Pasadena, MD
If it wasn't for days like you just described, I would have lost interest in sailing years ago. Great story.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
One Wed. PM race transformed my wife from "Don't heel the boat so much" to "Why can't you make this thing go any faster." Watershed event!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Looks like a hard fought finish. From a sail trim prospective that photo is very instructive. If you look at the jib on Wishful Thinking the outboard end closes abruptly causing a loss in attached flow and more drag. A pole or even forward sheeting would greatly help that. The sail could have very close to it's designed shape which would provide more drive and less drag. The main suffers from a similar ailment. But I think the solution to that is some vang, and less sheet, which would close the leach reducing twist and bring the sail more into it's designed shape. I can't tell what the sail angle is there but it seems to me to be a broad reach but not a deep reach. Here goes ....

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
One Wed. PM race transformed my wife from "Don't heel the boat so much" to "Why can't you make this thing go any faster." Watershed event!
Tell your wife to keep up the first advice. Generally, the FLATTER boats win. In one design boats, it’s is almost always true. Less heel makes for better windward performance.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
No worries there! She's not one to sit silently and over the years I've learned to listen. But my point with the post was that a little competition changed her mindset - for the better.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Just so you all know, Captmayhem won the club's "Hyjinks" award last season...

Before the course was even set, he had the water canon out, and I had to jump below to pull mine out to demonstrate we weren't easy pickin's. Then he called the kids up with the TWO other water canons... Definitely his 23 is the battleship to my 192 frigate.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Nice report! I to have struggled to get the family out since our excitement last season, but thankfully my daughter and I have done some classes and improved our sailing skills to let my wife just enjoy the ride. My daughter has said we should enter a race too, I said let's get through the summer and try for the fall races. In the mean time we added this for fun times.
FatherDay1.jpg

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Racing was the best thing to ever happen to my wife and daughter as far as sailing goes. Now they are both happy in any conditions. Before racing they thought that 15 was the max safe wind speed and that no one ever needed a big sail. After racing a couple of seasons, my wife decided to make me a spinnaker for by birthday so we could go faster.

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
Just so you all know, Captmayhem won the club's "Hyjinks" award last season...

Before the course was even set, he had the water canon out, and I had to jump below to pull mine out to demonstrate we weren't easy pickin's. Then he called the kids up with the TWO other water canons... Definitely his 23 is the battleship to my 192 frigate.
she handles like it as well Brian, as seen in that race, she's not good in light air,lol
I feel I need to go electric to get better range on the forward turret