North to Nanimo question

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 430 Shelter bay, Panama
we have done both. Dodd narrows is a fun experience. but crossing the straights. for us we check the weather and look at where we might want to stop. I also wouldn't want to do the narrows in heavy fog.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
but crossing the straights. for us we check the weather
Hi Monty, I see from your profile that you keep your boat in Shelter Bay, across from La Conner? What dock? Must get together for a brewsky.

Georgia Strait can become quite lumpy at times. Sometimes like a sheet of glass, other times with big swells like our recent crossing from Nanaimo to Secret Cove. Fun crossing though, making good time.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
We'll we didn't get to Nanimo. We went up as far as Telegraph Harbor on Thetis Island. We're back in the San Juans on the hook in Hunter Bay. We're thinking of crossing to Port Tounsand tomorrow. The concerns are visibility due to the smoke, and Gale warnings in the Streights of Juan De Fuca tomorrow night. I'll just need to look at the forecast in the AM. We only need about 5 hours. We aren't in a hurry anyway.

Ken

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Try Deception Pass to avoid Juan D Fuca? Check currents for sure
We usually use Deception Pass. The current was in our favor this time in the Streights. We we also wanted to visit friends in Port Townsend. Too bad there was no wind so we just motored.

Now we've gone from Port Townsend to Poulsbo and plan to go to Blake Island today.

Ken

Jan 8, 2020
brentswain 31 31 twin keeler Heriot Bay BC
Catching the flood up the west side of Galliano can give you a great tidal push.Then, thru Dodd Narows. Westerlies often don't blow inside, and if they do, they often only blow as far as Yellow Point.