North to Nanimo question

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
If we go North to Nanimo from the San Juans, would we be better off on the East or the West side of Gabriola Island? I'm thinking about the week of August 19-26 or so.

I'm thinking about dealing with the tidal current in the West side. We haven't been Northwest of Montague Harbour.

Ken Cross

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If we go North to Nanimo from the San Juans, would we be better off on the East or the West side of Gabriola Island? I'm thinking about the week of August 19-26 or so.

I'm thinking about dealing with the tidal current in the West side. We haven't been Northwest of Montague Harbour.

Ken Cross
In my opinion, go west, inside of the Gulf Islands; pass through Dodd Narrow at slack tide.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
KG. The protected route through the Gulf islands has many features. Narrow passageways and interesting bays to discover.

But what about the grandeur of Vancouver. And the opportunity to sail across Georgia Strait, approaching Nanimo from the north east. Ken has a new set of sails. Breezes have been 8-12 out of the north. Ken could go up along the east side of the Salish Sea and then beam reach across West to his goal and not have to deal with tidal currents in narrow passages.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Go through Dodd Narrows. An experience but easy. You can hang out in Pirates Cove or Ruxton for tide ops. Monitor chan 16 for tug tows coming south. In August, you will probably have northerlies and with a flood tide it could be interesting going up the outside on either side.. You could still have a good sail across from Nanaimo to Pender Hbr or Secret Cove or ?? Then with the northerlies, head so to Vancouver..watch out for the Squalicoms north of Lasqueti Is..

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
But what about the grandeur of Vancouver. And the opportunity to sail across Georgia Strait, approaching Nanimo from the north east. Ken has a new set of sails. Breezes have been 8-12 out of the north. Ken could go up along the east side of the Salish Sea and then beam reach across West to his goal and not have to deal with tidal currents in narrow passages.
Well, I agree; it is grand. But is he making destination or "cruising"? He can go back after crossing the Strait to Vancouver, etc. Hopefully, home on a NW wind and mostly an ebbing tide.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
@Ken Cross has not provided further insight yet.
I agree with your thought about down wind following sea in the strait. Kick in the favorable tide and it would be a virtual sleigh ride.

The inside can be fun with the small and large passages, tidal currents but the sailing can be iffy at times and the ferries sneak up on you all the time.

Just so much fun to be had an never enough time.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
@Ken Cross has not provided further insight yet.
That's cause I have no insight. I posted this to see what people who have been there have to say. I'm not afraid to go where I need to time the currents. Same with Tacoma Narrows, Deception Pass, Sequim Bay, etc. We should have plenty of time. we'll have 12 days to go from Friday Harbor to Everett via wherever we go in Canada. It might also be fun to see who we can meet up with.

Ken

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It might also be fun to see who we can meet up with.
Count me in, would love to see you and yours again. I can also be counted on to express extreme envy regarding new sails. Les and I just did a tour of the So. Gulf Islands up to Thetis. pm me with some projected dates.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Stu

Would you copy me with those dates? (If you might find additional company agreeable)

Charles

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
We'll be on the boat from August 5 through the 30th. Our daughter is joining us from the 10th through the 19th.we just need to figure out if we will be in BC waters while she is onboard or after we drop her off. I'll certainly pm you once we have some specifics.

As far as I'm concerned more company is great.

Ken

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Stu

Would you copy me with those dates? (If you might find additional company agreeable)

Charles
we just need to figure out if we will be in BC waters while she is onboard or after we drop her off. I'll certainly pm you once we have some specifics.

As far as I'm concerned more company is great.
Ken, post here!!
I agree.

We could keep it here or do a group pm. If we do it here, the downside is the thread ends up disappearing unless we update to it regularly.

Whaddya think?

Oct 22, 2014
I’m interested. Not sure of time availability but want to sail.

Sep 21, 2009
Hunter 34 Comox
Well if you go straight up the outside of the Gulf Islands at this time of year, the wind is bound to be on your nose. I would make a sail up to Gibsons Landing on the Sunshine coast and then reach across to Nanaimo. I've done this passage many times and it makes for some awesome sailing. In fact in another week we are going to do it again as we are in Squamish for their regatta and then heading out.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Well if you go straight up the outside of the Gulf Islands at this time of year, the wind is bound to be on your nose. I would make a sail up to Gibsons Landing on the Sunshine coast and then reach across to Nanaimo. I've done this passage many times and it makes for some awesome sailing. In fact in another week we are going to do it again as we are in Squamish for their regatta and then heading out.
Thanks for the post. I hadn't considered that area and again it would be new to us. I think once we get close enough we may let the wind forecast help us plan. One more week until we can untie the dock lines.
Ken

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I think I would base my route on where I cleared customs. Sailing north in Georgia Strait there are few places to stop on the mainland side. Sailing might be better but there is much more big boat traffic and very few places to hide if the weather kicks up.
Inside the Gulf Islands is better scenery, maybe less sailing, more places to anchor and just Dodd narrows to worry about ( tide wise ).