North Channel Great Lakes Trip Planning Help

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
The fifth day we changed up the plans and decided to go back to South Benjamin. We wanted to try a different anchorage, hoping to get one of those choice coves. We entered to bay we were in previous, but then took a little snake channel through that would have 3-4 good spots. I probably would never have had the balls to go into this little tight channel, but there was a 40' footer about mid way through and Id seen another one in there the last time we were there. So I figured if they could do it I could. Plus its depicted in the Ports Guide. It was an incredibly tight fit at one point. But we had good depth- 9 feet at the least. We snaked through, with T at the bow. But all the choice spots were taken. We tried to drop anchor again, in a lessor spot, but couldnt get a bite. As we were about to leave a motor boat pulled out of a primo spot and we snagged it. It was perfect, secluded, deep, and luxury of luxurys- there were tie-down rings hammered into the rocks on shore! I could sleep in peace that night! We loved it so much we stayed two nights. This was by far our favorite spot of the trip.

Here is a pic of the little channel we went through to get to our spot. Doesnt look so bad from here.

The second night in the Benjamins was an unplanned extra, but we loved it so much we had to stay. But that meant we had to get up early the last day and get back to Spanish, break down the boat, and put a dent in the road trip back. Still worth it. The last morning was windless, and we motored back on glassy water in a crisp sunny morning.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Do we want to go back? Heck yeah! It was amazing. You lucky B-turds that get to sail up there all the time have a beautiful resource. Although, I couldnt deal with the winters. It was a one and a half day drive each way for us. Doable, but work.

Lessons learned:
-We needed a dingy of some sort. I had planned to buy an inflatable kayak, but changed my mind in the end. Will have one next time.
-By all means have a tarp for a boom tent. Keeps the boat cooler in the day, and at least on my boat, I can have the companionway open even during a rain shower and stay dry.
-There are a lot of shallow rocks and rapidly changing depths in this lake. A depth finder was very comforting to have.
-Electronics: I had paper charts and did the planning on them. But a GPS is really handy, if not essential, unless your familiar with the area. I just had a little handheld Garmin GPSMap 78 with the hi-res charts. Worked great, very configurable, and fast to program a route with drag and click. Also got this iCom VHF. Great little radio. The batteries lasted a very long time.

-Like other said, the Ports Guide is essential.
-I had planned relatively short legs to sail each day. Maybe 5-10 miles. But 15 miles is really easy and still have plenty of day left. I looked at the Trailer Sailer itinerary. Those guys work a little too hard IMO, but next time I will not be afraid to go further if there is a place I want to go to.
-Fuel: Gas is expensive on Canada. I brought 13 gal total, enough to motor the whole trip if I needed to. Probably overkill. We only burned about 3 gallons, and the cans sort of got in the way. But better safe than sorry.
-Bug protection: We brought bug spray that is eucalyptus and lemon oil. Worked great and didnt have Deet. Also essential-a bug screen for the companionway and fore hatch (or what ever you have). The bugs really were not that bad, but in the evening we would have a few mosquito guests. And one night there was an attempted invasion of flys as well as spiders for some reason. I bought a huge mosquito net at a camping store and cut out a square to cover the fore hatch. The rest I just draped over the companion way. Worked well.

Last edited:

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
Great log and pics! South Benjamin was our favourite too (don't advertise it too much ☺) we did the trip for four summers, three weeks each, and have barely scratched the surface of all the anchorage and beauty I hope to do it again

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Thanks for the write up Crispy! Its been a while since I've been in the North Channel, I hope to get back soon.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Awesome write up...... That last pic of the boat in the rocks is exactly why we are up here. We're not North Chanel but in the 30,000 Islands of Georgian Bay which is exactly what you experienced. Glad you enjoyed our piece of heaven so much....

IMG_20180811_0905306.jpg

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
We go to the 30,000 Island area (Sans Souci) most years in August. I'll be there in a couple of weeks :) We stay on an island, which is beautiful and very nice in its own way, but I always see boats cruising past and I'd like to cruise the area again. Here is a nice Bayfield I saw going past last year.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Great journal of a memorable trip. You should write for a sailing mag!