Registered users don't see ads

North Channel Great Lakes Trip Planning Help

Discussion in 'Destinations' started by CrispyCringle, Oct 19, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. CrispyCringle

CrispyCringle

Joined Sep 30, 2016
    107 posts, 36 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Patoka
    Im in the planning stage for a few weeks in the North Channel of the Great Lakes next summer. We will be dragging our boat up behind the truck and coming through Mackinaw City. Im thinking to save time and get east of Cockburn Island we would continue into Canada and put in somewhere on the northern side. Ive been doing a Google map search and looking at marinas along the way. Nothing stands out as a very good place to put in and leave the truck and trailer for a few weeks.

Any suggestions for a good take-off and landing spot?

Also, never been on the big lakes before. Im open to any must see places or places to avoid (dont lie). We will be in a modest 24 footer.

Thanks

2. jon hansen

jon hansen

Joined May 25, 2012
    941 posts, 422 likes
    john alden caravelle 42
    us sturgeon bay, wis
    michigan state dock at detour may serve you well as a jumping off spot.

Parsons and CrispyCringle like this.
  3. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    8,768 posts, 2,100 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    Look up the North Channel YC in Spragge, ON.

CrispyCringle likes this.
  4. sesmith

sesmith

Joined Jul 1, 2010
    532 posts, 62 likes
    Seaward 25
    US Ithaca, NY
    We have launched at Spyder Bay Marina in Little Current a couple of times. Very good launch and plenty of space for the truck and trailer. There are a also a couple of places to launch in Spanish...the town launch and the launch at Almenara En El Rio (a little further up the river).

Parsons and CrispyCringle like this.
  5. David in Sandusky

David in Sandusky

Joined Nov 8, 2007
    1,059 posts, 136 likes
    Hunter 27_75-84
    US Sandusky Harbor Marina, Lake Erie
    Little Current is a full service boat Harbor town. Never been to Spanish, but both are in the middle of prime North Channel cruising. As implied by the name, the North Channel is all protected from waves off Lake Huron.

Although I have enjoyed the west end around Detour a number of times, IMHO the east end around Little Current is the best cruising ground we have ever sailed.

CrispyCringle likes this.
  6. CrispyCringle

CrispyCringle

Joined Sep 30, 2016
    107 posts, 36 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Patoka
    The Spragge and Spanish areas may be just the ticket. Thanks much!

Yes the more I research it, the more it seems like we want to be on the eastern side. I cant wait for this trip!

7. DArcy - Islay Mist

DArcy - Islay Mist

Joined Feb 11, 2017
    181 posts, 150 likes
    C&C 27 MkII
    Ca Ottawa
    Depending on how adventures you are feeling, and how much time you have, try getting to Tobermory on the North end of the Bruce peninsula. A great little town with a very nice harbour. If you are a SCUBA diver, or even into snorkeling, there are some wrecks around which you may find interesting.

8. CrispyCringle

CrispyCringle

Joined Sep 30, 2016
    107 posts, 36 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Patoka
    Tobermory looks amazing! Thanks, I dont think we will have the time to get there tho. I think we will be putting in kind of mid way east and west of the channel.

9. sesmith

sesmith

Joined Jul 1, 2010
    532 posts, 62 likes
    Seaward 25
    US Ithaca, NY

10. Doug4bass

Doug4bass

Joined Jun 9, 2004
    608 posts, 62 likes
    Catalina 385
    US Marquette. Mi
    Yup....Gorgeous marina.

11. CrispyCringle

CrispyCringle

Joined Sep 30, 2016
    107 posts, 36 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Patoka
    I found a great resource for planning a North Channel trip. Its a link to hi-res sat imagery that is much better than Google Maps. It only covers Ontario and is actually made for land topo info. But it includes excellent images of the waters surrounding land in the North Channel area.

It defaults to the topo layer on top of the satellite imagery. Be sure to use the Layers button, located on the very bottom left corner, and then the topographic slider to uncover the sat imagery.

Located here: http://www.gisapplication.lrc.gov.o...ke_A_Topographic_Map&viewer=MATM&locale=en-US

NOTE: The website can be slow to load sometimes

12. CrispyCringle

CrispyCringle

Joined Sep 30, 2016
    107 posts, 36 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Patoka

13. Parsons

Parsons

Joined Jul 12, 2011
    535 posts, 153 likes
    Catalina 36
    US Bay City, MI

14. CrispyCringle

CrispyCringle

Joined Sep 30, 2016
    107 posts, 36 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Patoka
    Yes, I need to get the Ports Guide. Thanks!

EDIT: Got the ports guide. It is a must have. Now to figure out where exactly to put in.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  15. CrispyCringle

CrispyCringle

Joined Sep 30, 2016
    107 posts, 36 likes
    Hunter 23.5
    US Patoka
    Well, the trip is finally coming together. Leaving next weekend and we will have about 7 days on the water. Weather looking good at this point. Im pretty psyched. We are putting in at Spanish. We will probably stay in an area from Spanish to the Benjamines/Little Current and Gore Bay. But the actual itinerary is pretty flexible. Will post when I get back.

jon hansen likes this.

Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Noflex Sewage Treatment
Treat sludge and odor problems in holding tanks.
Ready-made sheets and halyards
Now faster than ever, our calculator tells you what sizes you need.