Non-racer deliberately interfering with racing.

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
Slightly different tack than the other thread that got closed.
We had our first race of our Fall Series Saturday and had a non racer mixing it up with the race fleet. He was being a bit of a jerk about it. Hanging around marks and forcing racers to avoid him to round the mark, sailing across the course in such a way as to be "stand on" and forcing other boats to give way to him. or sailing up on a slower boat and deliberately stealing their wind. These really looked like deliberate acts and not a case of "just wandered into a race course". He's on a fairly well found 31 footer and seems to know how to sail it well. Shame he doesn't seem to want to play nice, his boat could be a contender with our club races.
The guy is a recent arrival at the marina and has expressed disdain/contempt at invitations to join the sailing club and participate in our regular races.
I was on the committee boat and he was docked and gone by the time we got the marks picked up and everything put away so I didn't get a chance to talk to him.
I'm going to bring it up with our club Commodore and see if the two of us can try a gentle approach to see if we can get the guy to join the club and actually race with us.

I don't really think there is a hell of a lot we can do about it unless he becomes an actual hazard or causes an incident.
What goes around comes around but it's frustrating.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I know some here who will say 'long as it's within COLREGS......'

Do you have a use permit? We have to file one for our races... A bit of a PITA but it does allow us to enforce areas around marks and racing areas in general. Our Sheriff's water patrol is on our side in these types of situations. Check with them even if you don't pull permits.

But in any case, someone needs to have a quiet word with this guy. Sometimes a little peer pressure will go a long way. If not, use A LOT of peer pressure.

Last edited:

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I love your spirit of inclusiveness, but I'm not sure I'd want him in my club, if that is the way he acts.

Mar 30, 2013
Allied Seawind MK II 32' Oologah Lake, Oklahoma
I know of at least two here what will say 'long as it's within COLREGS......'

Do you have a use permit? We have to file one for our races... A bit of a PITA but it does allow us to enforce areas around marks and racing areas in general. Our Sheriff's water patrol is on our side in these types of situations. Check with them even if you don't pull permits.

But in any case, someone needs to have a quiet word with this guy. Sometimes a little peer pressure will go a long way. If not, use A LOT of peer pressure.
We're not a big enough event that a permit is needed ( I think). At least no one told me I needed to get one when I took over as Racing VC.
I'll get with our Commodore and see if a little gentle persuasion will work first. If that doesn't work the club has a very good relationship with the Lake Patrol officer here but unless he really makes himself a hazard or causes an actual incident I don't know what they could do other than some enforcement harassment.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
We, too, are required to pull permits with the KS Dept of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism for all of our races during the season.

Your plan to talk to the guy sound reasonable to me.

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
So two can play that game. If he is using the COLREGs to force the racers to avoid him. I'm sure I could get a couple of racers to work together to "force" him off the course. Now, while I much prefer your nice persuasion approach, the odds are he will continue to be a jerk. So just like he is using his position, a few well placed boats could force him to give way and end up "out of the way". If you get really good at it you might end up with a new type of keep away racing

Good luck and sorry to hear about the problems. It might be interesting to find out why he feels the need to be in the way.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
Usually those kinds of "people" you can talk to or reason with. Maybe a blanket party? :) Names would be fun....I'm sure he's on Facebook.

Nov 8, 2010
It's a well known fact that your halyards tend to last A LOT LONGER when you're not an a-hole on the water. A lot longer.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Does the guy single hand or does he have family among? I'd discuss his adolescent behavior with him in front of his crew. It will be more embarrassing that way.

Nov 8, 2010
tha

that would be called Short Sheeting
Of course, I would not publicly condone damaging property..... But him finding the entire length of his main halyard unrun and cooled neatly in his cockpit on Raceday would give him something to think about... And the racers an unmolested day on the water.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
He seems to have a problem with organized sailing. Find out what it is. Did someone hurt his feelings in the past? e.g. Was he yelled at by a racing boat captain he crewed on? :poke:

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
He seems to have a problem with organized sailing. Find out what it is. Did someone hurt his feelings in the past? e.g. Was he yelled at by a racing boat captain he crewed on? :poke:
Or has he been offended by racing sailors that feel non-racers do not have rights on the race course? That can be a touchy subject. Racers also feel comfortable passing much closer than most sailors, in part because they know the other bloke is paying attention and knows what is expected of him.

I have no taste for racing (did some in the distant past), but I keep well clear of the course out of common courtesy.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Seems to me the first thing is to see if he keeps doing it. If not just ignore the guy. Life is too short to spend time thinking about what you are going to do about some weirdo with some kind of social disorder. You're on the water with friends sailing and to club for a couple of beers and bragging afterwards on a beautiful fall day. What's the problem?

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
Did anyone try and hail him on the radio to ask if he would avoid the race course?

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
I'm gonna hyjack this thread a bit since I don't have anything constructive to say about the *******...
I like "racing" occasionally (lets face it: if there are two sailboats in the same stretch of water there's SOME racing going on...) but I don't want to join a Yacht Club (which as far as I can see is a requirement for any organized race). What's the opinion of someone "crashing" the race? Starting alongside the racers (maybe not exactly through the Start Line), racing along with them, and "finishing" beside the finish line? We're talking a casual race, not like the Swiftsure, etc.

Not being an ******* about it, and maybe not forcing give-way, etc. I think those are underhanded tactics anyway: it's considered Bad Form in most racing (eg auto, running...) to win by making the opponents go slower.

druid

Nov 8, 2010
You can 'shadow' a race for sure. Racers don't mind at all, because we know that this is the way a lot of people make the first step before signing up. Just follow these steps and you're fine:

1) STAY OUT OF THE WAY; don't make a boat have to turn to avoid you

2) STAY OUT OF THEIR WIND; going upwind stay leeward of the fleet, downwind stay to the side.

3) Remember they are going to be faster than you.

4) Know where they are going, so you can do 1-3 as well as possible

5) Listen to VHF 16 and the race channel; normally 68-72. Find it and put it on triple scan.

6) When you make a move to avoid the fleet, make it big, clear, and obvious what you are doing.

7) Fly your national flag. It's a sure sign you're NOT racing.

8) It it ever gets close, feel free to face the skipper of the racing boat and ask 'what do you want me to do?'. He'll tell you instantly, and appreciate you asking.

9) Do NOT cross the lines if the RC is still on station. Bad form.