no telltales on furling main

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
New to me Beneteau 323 is my first boat with a furling main and there are no telltales present. All of my previous boats had telltales along the leech which made subtle trimming (especially twist) much easier to do and explain. Will standard telltales hold up when being furled and unfurled? Should I be putting some down in the body of the sail back of the luff like my headsail?

Thanks,

Dan

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
New to me Beneteau 323 is my first boat with a furling main and there are no telltales present. All of my previous boats had telltales along the leech which made subtle trimming (especially twist) much easier to do and explain. Will standard telltales hold up when being furled and unfurled? Should I be putting some down in the body of the sail back of the luff like my headsail?
Thanks,
Dan
They'll hold up when you furl the sail just as they do on the headsail. The most important mainsail telltale is the top. It's probably over kill but I installed a telltale on the both side stays. It made it easier for me to sail in a groove.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
Don, are you referring to the ones on the leech or in the body of the sail? Your reference to the headsail made me wonder...

Thanks for the response, Dan

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Don, are you referring to the ones on the leech or in the body of the sail? Your reference to the headsail made me wonder...
Thanks for the response, Dan
Yes, it's the mainsail leech but like with the jib, it doesn't matter where they're located from a furling standpoint. They won't fall off when you furl either sail.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Dan,
My Beneteau 343 with furling main has tape style telltales that are attached to the leech. I have had the boat for 5 years and haven't had a problem with them coming off. I am not sure if they are sewn on or adhered.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Thanks,
Dan
Much more than 'subtle trimming', telltails on the leech of the mainsail are the single most important guide to proper mainsail trim. Without them you are trimming in the dark.

Sewn on ones will hold up better. Stuck on ones can get rubbed off.

Telltales on the body of the mainsail are good for trimming on reaches but often confuse people.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
Thanks Everybody for your feedback. Assuming I use wool yarn (and my old eyes are able to see them), do I just put a knot in the end of the yarn and pull it thru the sail with a needle? Thinking it should extend 8" or so behind the leech.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Thanks Everybody for your feedback. Assuming I use wool yarn (and my old eyes are able to see them), do I just put a knot in the end of the yarn and pull it thru the sail with a needle? Thinking it should extend 8" or so behind the leech.
For leech telltails, by far best to use 3/4 inch wide strips of nylon cloth.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Examine your sail, Neil Pryde typically sews small loops into the leach of their sails for the attachment of telltales. This allows you to easily R&R telltale tapes.

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Don, you mentioned attaching telltales to the side stays (I have seen old cassette tape used like this), how high up the stay would give the best results?

Cheers

Nov 8, 2010
Don, you mentioned attaching telltales to the side stays (I have seen old cassette tape used like this), how high up the stay would give the best results?
Telltails in the shrouds are NOT for trimming. They give crew better SA (Situational Awareness) of the current Apparent Wind, and critically how that changes as it gets higher into the rig. Place them in the middle of every level of vertical shroud.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
Examine your sail, Neil Pryde typically sews small loops into the leach of their sails for the attachment of telltales. This allows you to easily R&R telltale tapes.
Absolutely right Gunni, at the end of the batten pockets were little loops. I installed some wool yarn but was amazed how weak it was. Just pulling the knot tight broke it so I guess I will look for some proper tape assuming the yarn breaks off over time.
Thanks Everybody!