NO SEACOCK ON C350

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim

Glass Tube

So, I looked closely at my holding tank overboard discharge yesterday. What I saw is a fiberglass tube attached to the hull, extending upward about 14" or so. That tube is attached (double clamped both ends) to a short (approx 5") piece of white flexible hose, which is attached to the stub on the outflow side of the valve. The valve has been "poo-poo'd" (forgive the pun) as being from a hot tub, but the valve is well above the waterline, and does appear to be a marine product intended for that application. Hope this helps. Tim Brogan April IV C350 #68 Seattle

T

Tom S

Just remember if you DO move the holding tank

discharge valve to the hull of the boat, that means you will have a few feet of only rubber hose between your nose and the contents of the holding tank. Solid fiberglass is actually much more odor blocking than that hose you expect to place it with. That hose will stink very quickly, no matter how good it is. Just a reminder that it will make sense to keep that valve there right at the bottom of the holding tank and keep the hose going to the thru-hull empty.

A

Andy

Seacock for Head

Hi folks. I am starting my third season with the Catalina 350. I only sail off shore with the boat. I never looked or even questioned whether their was a seacock for the head thru hull. But then again, there was never a reason too. I am in the northeast and don't winterize the 350 until December. I Never had a problem with it so in my "real world" experience, there really is no concern for this design. What ever they did at Catalina, was well thought out.

G

George

No Issue

There is no issue here. Chris has hit the nail on the head. The fiberglass tube is part of the hull structure and the opening of the fiberglass tube is well above the waterline. If you cut the tube you will put an opening below the waterline and you will need a seacock and you will have a hose full of mess.

T

Tim

Picture of Installation

In a post below ("Glass Tube") I attempted to describe the installation. As a picture is worth a thousand words, here is one. Please note that the upper left hand corner of the picture is up - the base of the dump valve. The lower right corner is where the glassed tube pentrates the hull. Hope this helps. Tim Brogan April IV C350 #68 Seattle

Attachments

C

Chris Burti

Not a concern!

This assembly is virtually identical in design to your rudder tube. Don't sweat it. Regards, Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.