No emergency tiller... but then again... no emergency... yet!

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
That plastic screw-in cover s the same as mine. It was good and stuck.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Also my son-in-law tried to move the ET and couldn't budge it. Why? Nothing on the autopilot chain or rudder cable was broken. So no ET steering while main steering works.
Jim...
The wheel-steering system has a real mechanical advantage when using the wheel. Going backwards, using the emergency tiller one has to push against all the pulleys and gearing in order to get the wheel to move. I'm sure there is a fair amount of friction in the system. That, combined with the awkward way of using the emergency tiller, would make it difficult to turn the wheel. When our boat is on the hard for bottom paint it isn't too difficult to turn the rudder so, just maybe, there is something else.

Something else could be the wheel lock or autohelm is engaged.

Haven't had to use the emergency tiller yet but judging from the reports from above I wouldn't count on using it to any advantage when the forces on the boat are really large so reducing sail would probably be the first order of business.

Haven't visited the Edson site in several years but they had a document that lists the maintenance requirements for their helm systems. Lubing the cable wheel axels and checking how tight the cable clamps are, and of course, looking for corrosion, would be tops on the list.

Note: the quadrant is an aluminum casting and comes in two halves. What holds the halves together are stainless steel (SS) bolts. Since SS and aluminum don't go well together it would be good to check your bolts. I did and wound up putting a liberal coating of Lanocote on them.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
I have the middle sister boat as you with the same set up for an emergency tiller. Go to the H31 83-87 owner modifications on this site and look for emergency tiller. PO for my boat built the identical one and I have tested it and it works like a charm.

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
I realize this is a bit of an older thread, but I have a Hunter 28.5, 88' and there is an emergency tiller extension that came with the boat that is stored in the lazzeret. It fits into the notch in the back of the cockpit that you pictured. As far as, it came with the boat.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
realize this is a bit of an older thread, but I have a Hunter 28.5, 88' and there is an emergency tiller extension that came with the boat that is stored in the lazzeret. It fits into the notch in the back of the cockpit that you pictured. As far as, it came with the boat.
I would suggest testing in the harbor so you can get a feel for how fast you can get it in a real emergency.

I plan to secure my ET cover plate with a quick snap line to the life rail so I don't lose it overboard.
Jim...

PS: No thread is too old.;)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The photo of the port opening was Hunter installed. One thing with that handle in use for steering, you do not have the mechanical advantage like the wheel and will find it more difficult to steer with so watch the speed.

Jun 1, 2016
Hunter 28.5 Lake City, MN
I'm not sure if you are still interested, but I did take a couple pictures and some measurements of the emergency tiller.
0629171537a_resized.jpg
0629171537_resized.jpg

The lower part into the rudder is 12.5" long, the upper section which tilts forward is 19.5" long. The outside diameter is one and three-quarter inch, and the slot at the bottom into the tiller is a 1/2" wide, and 2" deep. The angle is about 115 Degrees.

Mile

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I know where ours is, clipped to the inside of the port lazarette along with the emergency whaler bilge pump handle. I have fitted the ET in the slot to ensure it fit and have used the manual pump just to make sure it works, sure hope I don't actually need either any time, the pump is arduous labor for what it does and I can't even image moving that rudder around with an approximately 2 ft handle.
The rack and pinion steering and associated links on our Sapphire are solidly connected with lever arms and a drag link arm the only failure one could anticipate is that of the rudder itself at which point the ET would be moot.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The main steering chain and wheel has a good gear ratio for ease of use in worst case seas.
The ET does not!!
Your ET must have that main chain broken or released to use the ET.
Install your ET with the chain connected and you will find out!;)

The ET will be a major arm fatigue since the force applied is a simple lever arm ratio. That is limited by the clearance horizontal arm swing. Note the welded on port/starboard rings on my post #17 above.

I bought 2 cheap "come alongs" to hook to my stern cleats and those rings. I will use the "come along"
to move the ET and hold it in position.

It will take an amazing amount of arm strength to steer and hold in even moderate seas.

I expect to have my hands full, if I am using the gusher pump and maintaining boat safety in high seas.:yikes:

Tip: Don't wait till an emergency to find out. I do an annual "safety drill" with the Admiral to assure we remember what actions are needed.

Safe boating...
Jim...