No compression after engine rebuild

Nov 30, 2016
Beneteau 1993 265 first Houston
my volvo penta 1 cyl 10 hp eng was rebuilt by volvo penta certified mechanic. He cant get engine to start! Not enough compression.
I have to replace engine. I have a Beneteau 265first
Any ideas?
Its too difficult to find replacement.
Mechanic wsnts to sell me brand new volvo penta

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Was the engine running before the rebuild? If it was there is no reason why compression could not be restored with new piston rings, a new head gasket and freshly ground valves. If the engine was not running before as a result of overheating the cylinder head may need machining or even a new head. Was the cylinder bored? Were the specs of the cylinder walls good enough to allow boring? Is the starter speed adequate? These small engines build compression by repetitive cranking before starting but if the starter does not build up enough speed then adequate compression might not be attained. A thick oil usually improves compression. You should not have temperature problems in Houston. Anything can be fixed with enough $$$; is your mechanic saying the necessary parts are too scarce or expensive that a new engine would be a more economically feasible solution?

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
What do you mean by "rebuild"? That carries many meanings. It could mean the top and bottom end taken apart and brought back to spec, or just the head with valve work, or simply going through the external components like the fuel system. For a full rebuild, or more commonly, just the top end rebuild, there is no excuse for it not to start due to no compression. Its one of the primary things that should had been addressed. Just guessing, since I dont know what work was done, Id say the valve timing was off. Fairly easy to mess up if the head was removed.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I agree with uncledom, and DO NOT pay for the rebuild. That mechanic in no way is Volvo certified.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
sounds fishy, I agree.. A competent diesel guy (or girl) should be able to pinpoint what is wrong.. If the engine was running prior to "rebuild", then something was not done correctly.. Could be something as simple as valve gap but could be errors in cam timing or ring installation or head gasket installation; depending on exactly what the mechanic is calling a rebuild..
would not put a Volvo back in the boat, would consider the Beta 14 instead.. if a new engine is actually needed... less expensive and because it is Kubota based, parts are much easier to find and less expensive.. http://www.betamarinenc.com/engine/beta-14-z482/
Locally in Kemah,
Yacht Equipment Services
828C Marina Bay Drive
Kemah, TX 77565
(281) 538 9377

Last edited:

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
my volvo penta 1 cyl 10 hp eng was rebuilt by volvo penta certified mechanic. He cant get engine to start! Not enough compression.
I have to replace engine. I have a Beneteau 265first
Any ideas?
Its too difficult to find replacement.
Mechanic wsnts to sell me brand new volvo penta
Flyingcr,

I have a diesel mechanic in the area I use and trust. PM me and I’ll pass on his info.

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
Also second Yacht Equip Serv. In Kemah. Use them for my Yanmar parts and service when needed.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Also second Yacht Equip Serv. In Kemah. Use them for my Yanmar parts and service when needed.
Oops I’m so used to seeing YES that I didn’t even realize it was them. So make it 3 for Yacht Equipment Service YES!

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
You say there is not enough compression. Did your mechanic perform a compression test?