No Automatic Bilge Pump... Really???

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I can cite two specific instances that a boat that I owned was damaged and the other nearly sunk by the absence of an automatic bilge pump switch. Both had properly functioning bilge pumps but no float switches. The first was my Irwin. The boat was new to me and within one week a very slow leak from the centerboard stuffing box put a full foot of water in my cabin. After activating the pump and drying out the boat I installed a float switch. I never had a problem again with rising water and the switch never failed while I had the boat (10+ years).
The second was a 18 foot speedboat I bought brand new. It lived on a trailer except on the weekends. After returning from a day trip we had one of those huge Florida rain storms that dumped a ton of rain everywhere. Enough rain fell in the boat that it covered the starter motor in rainwater and had to be replaced. I installed a float switch on the brand new bilge pump in the brand new boat and I never had the problem again. That switch also lasted for at least as long as I owned the boat (7 years).

I would have immediately added the float switch to the speed boat had I known it did not have one. I lit up the dealer for not telling me the boat did not have one. Stupid me for not checking. The first thing I did when I looked at my present boat was to determine the status of the bilge pump and its float switch. This is why I believe an AUTOMATIC bilge pump is a critical piece of equipment to safeguard your investment. I think it is foolish to not have one unless you are constantly on your boat.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
David,

I'm happy with my solution and I would do it again. We are only talking about about a few ounces of water. My boat still smells like a boat but it smell better than it used to. I could use a second solar vent but the new ones seem to fail very quickly.

Troy

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I'm really for the installation of self acting electric bilge pumps but draw the line when someone calls them a safety item as it may mislead others to bypass necessary precautions like frequently inspecting through hulls, valves, hoses and clamps. You want safety, install a 120V sump pump to operate with a generator or shore power. A manual gusher bilge pump that can be operated from the cockpit should be standard equipment in any sea going vessel.

Sep 6, 2016
Hunter 34 City Island
True, but on a brand new boat I'd hope the dealer would be able to say how it's wired. If it really doesn't have an automatic function it is easy enough to add, but disappointing that the new boat owner should have to do that.
Don't you have the wiring diagram that came with the boat? If it is not obvious to you by looking at it, it certainly will be obvious on the wiring diagram!.... but the easiest way is dump a bucket of water in the boat with the panels and batt switch in off position and see if it clicks on...

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I think it is foolish to not have one unless you are constantly on your boat.
Bal, I can mostly agree with you. My B323 did not come with a float, just a breaker on the panel. But from reading these forums for years, there are so many choices of equipment, that anything OEM would probably be complained about by whoever owns the boat when the float does not work when needed. THEN, is becomes "why did the dealer pick a float and not a senso type switch?". I bought a switch, but in 4 years have not installed it, though I pulled in the wire for it. Maybe I'm complacent because I have maybe a foot of water under the keel in my slip????