No Anchor zone established in Lake Tashmoo

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
FYI -- Drew's Cove is the southern end of Tashmoo, I didn't find a chart with boundaries but I think it's from (roughly) the latitude of the dinghy dock and south. See the story linked below.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I hope it's not too limiting. That's the best anchorage on MV.

Feb 11, 2017
Sounds like it's just that narrow section at the south end. Where the big moorings are.

Not that anchoring isn't easy elsewhere in the lake, since the eelgrass is all over.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
I didn't like the idea of being exposed to the North (?) winds that can blow into Tashmoo. I think I'd find a mooring in Onset and head to your house. That hasn't blown down, yet. :)

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
It's got the hurricane barrier but it's a pretty big harbor, wide open with lots of hard surfaces around the edges, and lots of massive rusty commercial fishing trawlers that could break loose.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Winds were forecast for something like 100 mph from the North I think. Unlike Maine, the coast line on the Cape is mostly just barrier beach. With that forecast, and 2 or 3 feet of sand to the North, I saw the only protection from wind and wave to be the mainland, Cape Cod!

Anyway, the forecast changed dramatically in the last 30 hours or so. We had a mooring and only saw 50 knots from a more easterly direction (if I recall correctly), which put us in the lee of MV.

Riding out even a hint of a hurricane on your boat, is for the birds. I sail for fun.