News flash: cool fast boats sell.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Aw shucks. That’s just a little tenderizing! We’re just getting started!

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
"What costs $4-5k in the winter? Winter storage? "
Yep. In the metro NYC area. Rates start at around $60 foot, another $15 or more if you want shrink wrap, yards won't let you paint yourself due to environmental regs and charge $150 plus for a gallon of paint and $6-700 plus for labor and materials. $4-$500 if the yard winterizes engine and systems. Plus tax. $3500 is pretty much a minimum for a 30 footer...if nothing in particular needs to get repaired or replaced. My mooring is less than $2,000, but I figure if I sail 25 days it works out to about $220 a day just for upkeep, not counting the cost of the boat. And I'm shopping for a bigger boat. Go figure.
The way to bring those costs $/day down is to sail more. Divide by our 160 days sailing this year and its like being paid to go!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
"What costs $4-5k in the winter? Winter storage? "
Yep. In the metro NYC area. Rates start at around $60 foot, another $15 or more if you want shrink wrap, yards won't let you paint yourself due to environmental regs and charge $150 plus for a gallon of paint and $6-700 plus for labor and materials. $4-$500 if the yard winterizes engine and systems. Plus tax. $3500 is pretty much a minimum for a 30 footer...if nothing in particular needs to get repaired or replaced. My mooring is less than $2,000, but I figure if I sail 25 days it works out to about $220 a day just for upkeep, not counting the cost of the boat. And I'm shopping for a bigger boat. Go figure.
Ouch! I guess I am spoiled.

Greg

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
That's a 2nd or 3rd order effect. Nothing at all like someone building a new product at a price point and volume to meet demand. Have you ever heard of used boat prices going UP because a perceived shortage of boats?
Watch the prices of 40 to 50' catamarans. It's gonna go waaaaay up. Why? 'Cause 90% of the charter market is sitting on the bottom.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Excellent point! Pat....I think I'll go to Newport instead...

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
As someone who is well into the demographic group that Ventura Boats is targeting, I'm not impressed.

Do we really need a 23' Mac 26?

Don't say Senior Citizen around me unless the next word is Discount!

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Saw this in my Google headlines. Interesting take on the Annapolis show

Phil Burgess: Aging boomers may have new ways to keep on sailing
http://www.capitalgazette.com/lifestyle/health/ac-cm-burgess-20171015-story.html
Interesting read, thanks for sharing that!

Fascinating to hear he bought WWP, and that CBS basically bought a boat a month for the Price is Right. Nice way to help keep the pump primed.

As for the Ventura 23, I'm willing to keep an open mind. The real trick is what kind of market research he did, and why he think he can succeed when the Tattoo 23 (basically the exact same boat) could not get out of the prototype phase. I'm sure the Tattoo dealers told Tattoo that they would not buy one to stock and didn't have an order.

I assume he is EXACTLY in the same place now as they were when they folded up shop; waiting (praying?) for firm orders to show up before they commit to a build. His web site actually mentions that will keep deposits in secure escrow. Big companies do lots of market research and private prototyping before making a public announcement. Smaller companies do it this way.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
As someone who is well into the demographic group that Ventura Boats is targeting, I'm not impressed.
Interesting thought. I feel the same way. But at the the same time I recognize that I'm still in very active and in good shape; still play ice hockey and ski competitively, in addition to the sailboat racing. So I suppose not everyone my age shares my level of fitness, and I know lots of guys my age that can't/won't jump 2 feet from the boat to the dock anymore. They would 10 years ago. But time matches on, and we can't stay young forever.

But I happily note the Jean-Marie Finot (Pogo designer) owns a Pogo 10.50 and is sailing it in his 80s. #LifeGoal

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I actually sent a email to Tattoo and their response is they are working on getting up to production on only the Tattoo 22, no other models. There website doesn't even have current updates since Feb 2015.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Top tier racing is definitely for the fit.
The thinking is the AC50 cats went too far.

Andy Claughton (BAR lead designer) has gone as far to label them 'slave ships' due to the amount of simple horsepower that needed to be generated by dedicated crew just to power the wings. Not sailing. Human powerplants.

The next generation of the DoG promises to move back a step to 'athletic sailing', and I think for the better.

Nov 8, 2010
The sailboat buyers I'm seeing are people selling their house and retiring to a boat, and thus livability is near the top as is price and of course cruising. It is not a young crowd either!!!!
Interesting observation!

Nov 8, 2010
Neo Liberalism.. is that the unregulated ideas of the Robber Baron period.... which never created a middleclass. And it would be the exact opposite of liberals or progressives today...
JVISS can't hear you. He's having a time out.

Nov 8, 2010
Speaking of who builders can sell to, really its two camps:

Entice a current boat owner to buy a new boat
Entice someone new to the sport to buy a new boat

In the 70's a HUGE percentage of new boats when to first time buyers. With no 'help' from the builders. Now you can see the efforts the builders are making to simply boats for first-time buyers. Push button sail furling. Dock-and-go anyone?? Anyone want to venture a guess of what the split for new-boat sales was in 1973, and then in 2016? I don't know the answers, but would be interested in knowing what people think.

Nov 8, 2010
There are now probably a half dozen or more European builders (mostly French) producing 'fast cruisers' in the 28 to 50 foot range. As you might expect, some of them are getting innovative with features to separate themselves from the crowd. Like a full dinghy garage in a 32 footer? Malango 999. The huge beam still allows for two aft cabins! Also note the built-in beaching legs to save strain on the rudders.

talents-idb.jpg