Newport 28 anchor locker

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
Hi All,
New Newport 28 owner here, kind of ironic since my boat for the last 9 years has been a Neptune 24.
Anyhow, the anchor locker hatch just sits on the lip to the locker. There are 2 eye straps on the bottom of it but no real way to secure it in a way that satisfies my taste. My Neptune has hinges along the Stbd side of it, how were these hatches originally secured? The rode that came with the boat is 400' of 1/2" 3 strand and another 35' of 5/16" chain so the locker is pretty full.
What have you all done to fix this?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ned. No one seems to have responded. First welcome.
Not a Neptune owner. Picture. Of your issue would help.
Thinking about the issue, you need a strong point to secure the end of your anchor rode. How about getting a properly sized pad eye. Find a solid spot in the locker and through bolt the pad eye with a large enough backing plate. Use buytl-tape to seal the bolts and holes and you will have a water tight strong point for the anchor. You'll want to have a bit of line between the chain and strong point in case you need to cut loose the anchor in an emergency.
Hope the concept helps solve your challenge.

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
Doesn't, seem like there is much activity here. The issue is that the triangular hatch just sits on deck, no hinges or hold down of any type. There are (2) 1/4" eye straps mounted on the underside of the lid presumably for a tie down of some type.
My previous boat is a Neptune , same manufacturer & same anchor locker lid, and a previous owner added side hinges to the hatch cover. The problem there is when you have the jib laying on the foredeck I have to hold the hatch open with 1 foot while tending anchor which is a real PITA in anything other than a flat calm sunny afternoon.
I thought about shock cord but to get it tight enough it would be in the way of the rode. I think hinges to aft won't work because of the deck curvature. I was hoping an enterprising N28 owner had a good solution.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Take pictures and load them up. We may not know your boat, but there are many resourceful folks here that may be able to share an idea to address your challenge.