Newer Main For Javelin

Nov 19, 2017
Oday 14ft Next to garage
Have you thought about re-conditioning your old sails? another option would be to get quotes on new sails from different sail makers ,then you can add color .you might be surprised not as much as you might expect. If money is just to tight right now ,and you have no sails ,I have my sails as I am planning on replacing anyway . I was told the main has no holes but the jib has one the sails are not crisp so they would need re -conditioning .

Dec 11, 2009
Oday 26 Central FL
I "do" have a main and jib that came with the boat but they are original, 1969. I've patched a few small rips just to be able to go sailing but was hoping to find something used in good shape. I've tried the used sail shops but it's difficult to find Javelin sized mains. I found a local sail maker that will make a main for 400 which is the best price I've found.

John

Nov 19, 2017
Oday 14ft Next to garage
That is the same as one of the quotes I got, I don't know if you have consider colors? Since I am replacing mine I am doing mine in color instead of plain white . I just redone my Butterfly with new sails ,you will love the new sails.

Attachments

Nov 19, 2017
Oday 14ft Next to garage
I was reading some of your older post ,and was wondering if you had figured a way of getting your mast in the garage without cutting it off?

Dec 11, 2009
Oday 26 Central FL
No, I hung it on the fence out back. It would fit diagonally across the garage ,but it's a hassle trying to get around everything in the garage. I had looked at a used mast for sale that I was going to cut down and try some other sails on it but they wanted too much for the other mast so I just settled for taking it on and off the boat each time I'd sail.

Nov 19, 2017
Oday 14ft Next to garage
John here is what I did added this piece of unistrut from Menards to the front of the boat, mounted on wench stand ,everything bolted in place ,no welding or drilling. for the top .1 pcs of unistrut connector 1 u bolt and a garden rake or shovel holder. For back. 3/8 rod 2 clevis pins 1 garden holder 1 wire rope clamp. This might work for you ,I have the same tabernacle on my mast ,everything stays hooked up , It sticks out about 2 feet over the front of the tong and 1 foot over the back. Working on a carrier for the boom . The unistrut comes galvanized also ,they were out.

Dec 11, 2009
Oday 26 Central FL
Thanks for the pics. I had a post on the front for traveling but my problem was that my mast length wouldn't fit in my garage because of some shelving on the back wall.

John

Nov 19, 2017
Oday 14ft Next to garage
Raising the front decreases the length slightly, maybe yours is already setup like that ,the previous owner had built it out of wood ,to clear his van . I had an x boat by melges and the mast and boom stored flat on the deck of the boat ,when not in use I stored my mast in the garage on ladder hooks up close to the ceiling, just so it didn't interfere with anything.
001.JPG