Newbie with a question.

scoker

Nov 15, 2017
Macgregor 25 41 valle de bravo
Hello, I wanted to introduce myself, I am brand new owner of an 84 Mac 25 registered in Valle de Bravo, Mex, I want to get to work on the boat since it needs a lot of love, on the outside its all great, new paint work, sails are ok, but the cabin is kind of a mess, electrical system seems to be taken out, woodwork hast termites, etc, needs a makeover, as said in the begining I have no experience so I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction as to where to start in this endeavor? I would be day sailing mainly on the lake this year so I can gather some experience, then I would like to take some short 2-3 days trips along the coastline. Thank you.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Welcome.

The most important wood on the boat is the 1/2 inch plywood bulkhead just under the companionway. It provides the structural rigidity needed to support the keel and keel winch.

Easily removed while the boat's on the trailer, just trace out a new piece from whatever remains are left by the termites and bolt it in place.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I don't know the Mac at all. I'm new to the mariner I just bought. The mantra everyone on the mariner web site chants is, don't knock yourself out getting everything perfect. Get her ready to sail and go sailing. Of course, you have to make sure she's ready to sail. Macs have center boards, I think, make sure the CB comes down and goes back up without problems. Get to know your rigging and check that the rudder won't fall off;) and go sailing.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
The compression post just below the mast on inside of the boat should be inspected also and replaced if needed.

Welcome.

The most important wood on the boat is the 1/2 inch plywood bulkhead just under the companionway. It provides the structural rigidity needed to support the keel and keel winch.

Easily removed while the boat's on the trailer, just trace out a new piece from whatever remains are left by the termites and bolt it in place.

scoker

Nov 15, 2017
I don't know the Mac at all. I'm new to the mariner I just bought. The mantra everyone on the mariner web site chants is, don't knock yourself out getting everything perfect. Get her ready to sail and go sailing. Of course, you have to make sure she's ready to sail. Macs have center boards, I think, make sure the CB comes down and goes back up without problems. Get to know your rigging and check that the rudder won't fall off;) and go sailing.
- Will (Dragonfly)
Thanks for the advice, in fact I think that is what is happening, I want everything to be just right, reading your post makes me put things in perspective. Thanks and happy thanks giving to all of you in the US.
P.D. By the way, I got her sailing this past weekend with no problems at all.
IMG-20171121-WA0002.jpg

scoker

Nov 15, 2017
Welcome.

Thanks for the advice, that piece looks ok on the exterior and keel/winch worked ok, termites seemed to be nested on the bathroom facing the v berth, dont know how they got there, apparently the boat was abandoned for quite sometime and I bought it over the internet without previous inspection, I suppose that piece can be taken out completly and work out a new one? Thank you and happy thanks giving.

scoker

Nov 15, 2017
The compression post just below the mast on inside of the boat should be inspected also and replaced if needed.
I ll have to inspect that, thanks for the advice, anything particular I must look for? Happy thanksgiving.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Good looking rig. The couple of pieces inside that have already been identified may not look structural, but they really are. You do want to copy them as exactly as possible, the hull is not an exact science, you'll likely find if you put a tape measure to the pieces that they may be off from side to side, don't correct it, just copy it.

scoker

Nov 15, 2017
Good looking rig. The couple of pieces inside that have already been identified may not look structural, but they really are. You do want to copy them as exactly as possible, the hull is not an exact science, you'll likely find if you put a tape measure to the pieces that they may be off from side to side, don't correct it, just copy it.
Thanks a lot for the advice and the complement.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Are you sure it is termites? I'd assume wood rot from standing water before bugs. Either way remove and replace before too long.

Last edited:

scoker

Nov 15, 2017
I am 80% positive, I am going to have a picture taken of it. Thank you.

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
Welcome Scoker,

Wow! For an '84, the exterior looks amazing and the sails, including the printing on the main, look new. Great find!

Nov 30, 2015
MacGregor 26S Lakehills, Tx
P.D. By the way, I got her sailing this past weekend with no problems at all.
That's a nice looking Mac!
Since there aren't any major problems other than the ones you already mentioned, just take your time. My Mac was in good condition when I bought her, but I wanted a project also. I tore the electrical system out and rewired her. I replaced all lighting with LED lights, replaced and added wood inside, and polished her up.
One major item you will want to really inspect is your trailer (if you have one), especially if it was used in salt water. Corrosion hides in the smallest places and can cause serious structural and electrical issues. Replace the bearings and wiring harness for starters.
Read through the different threads here. There is a wealth of information.

scoker

Nov 15, 2017
That's a nice looking Mac!
Since there aren't any major problems other than the ones you already mentioned, just take your time. My Mac was in good condition when I bought her, but I wanted a project also. I tore the electrical system out and rewired her. I replaced all lighting with LED lights, replaced and added wood inside, and polished her up.
One major item you will want to really inspect is your trailer (if you have one), especially if it was used in salt water. Corrosion hides in the smallest places and can cause serious structural and electrical issues. Replace the bearings and wiring harness for starters.
Read through the different threads here. There is a wealth of information.
Thank you on the complement, your looks beautiful also on your profile photo, the trailer had the bearings replaced as part of the sale deal and I am yet to inspect thoroughly, Do you sail your Mac on lakes or coastline?