Newbie UK

Jun 6, 2013
hunter 23.5 soton
Hello I just bought a H260 and hope I haven't bitten off more than I can chew moving up from dinghy. Going to be used in the Solent UK and has a Honda 9.9 2 cylinder outboard which is heavy. Thought I'd be able to tilt is on the bracket like we did on a H23.5 with Honda 5hp but I think it is to heavy. Getting the engine tilted so the prop is mostly clear of the water makes a difference to sail speed. Almost think the engine is oversized for the transom mount. Hunter a good on drying mud moorings in Chichester harbour. Good to know you guys offer advice on this forum.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
With the rudder up I suggest you put a line around it tied to the port stern rail to insure that it will not fall when traveling or moving the trailer. All of us will be glad to help. That 9.9 is the largest engine for that boat.

May 6, 2004
- - Potomac
The bracket on the 9.9 is designed to hold up the motor for sailing or when docked. If it's not working, something's wrong. Dave is spot on about towing - never rely on the bracket alone in that situation.

BTW, congrats on the new boat and welcome to the forum. The gang here will get you through any issues you may have.

Jun 6, 2013
hunter 23.5 soton
Still wondering if I am mad my family does. I hope this works out if not sell on. On the inside the boat compact, from the outside on a trailer is looks big with perhaps to tall a mast/ sail area for windy UK. I can see additional reef holes being added to the main.

Jun 6, 2013
hunter 23.5 soton
Do the ballast screws corrode being submerged in salt water? Can they corrode to a point you cant screw the boot plug shut? I guess when u launch in the sea you could fill with a fresh water hose form a jetty to try to avoid internal tank metal work corrosion

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You are referring to the bailer plug for the air vent and the wing nut to open up the ballast tank? That was never an issue about corroding but sometimes the gasket on the bottom of the hull sometimes gets stuck and you will have to push down hard on the wing nut. If leaving the boat in the water for some time, add chlorox to the tank say two cups via air vent to keep that foul smell from rotting microrganisms from occurring.

Jun 6, 2013
hunter 23.5 soton
Thks for your advice. I was guessing the wing nut is connected to the bottom of the hull plug by a metal rod which would be immersed at all times hence corroded. The seller said once the cabin had a inch or so of water when it was tried to a pontoon and suggest the bottom gasket might leak. Maybe ballast over flowed at the breather etc. I'll find out next spring whether I bought a lemon. Any idea how many dollars year 2000 260 goes for over there? there was a much earlier survey on the boat but that was a waste of money they don't check for leaks. The just say they can't access the bilge and don't comment on the ballast integrity. I asked the last owner if when they lifted out they drained the ballast, his reply 'I hope they did'.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If water is coming thru the wing nut, the gasket under the washer and the bail plug need to be replaced only.
Water in the cabin I would tend to question the source. There is a lot on that issue in the archives. Look that up and tthen get back with us.

Jun 6, 2013
hunter 23.5 soton
Just chatting, looking at moving the boat looking in the user manual at rudder removal is it in there? I ask because in the UK a 240 is ok to tow but a 260 might be a tad to big. If the rudder comes of easy that will reduce the rear overhang on its trailer should the police measure it. How does the rudder mount? The trailer has 2 big outriggers that I guess guide the boat in but are they need while towing if you have massive straps holding it on its twin axel trailer. They add lots of inches to the width/ the boat settled on one such that it indent the rubbing strip/

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
What about the overhang of the mast vs. rudder. You need to find out for sure from the highway police or motor vehicles what you are legal at and the permits needed if you exceed the maximum. We do not know since you are not in the U.S. as that is an issue you will have to resolve first by asking. Check what is legal first with the authorities as you might find out it has to do with overall length of a tractor trailer.

Jun 6, 2013
hunter 23.5 soton
thks I'm looking into it. The boat was towed to its current location maybe they bent a few rules. If you were guessing what is the overall length of an average 2 wheel trailer with 260 and mast from tow hitch to rear. The boat is hundred miles away. I'm guessing my brothers Jeep Liberty 3.7 isn't big enough to tow 1300kg boat plus 500kg trailer width wise. Uk towing width for a car is 2.6m. Will be contacting boat movers and asking advice.

Jun 6, 2013
hunter 23.5 soton
forgot to add the maximum 3500Kg tow vehicle plus trailer/load length is 18M in the uk. Guessing a 260 would be under this.

May 6, 2004
- - Potomac
The tow weight of the 260 is 5000 lbs./2268 kgs. plus weight of trailer. Its beam is 2.73 meters. Overall length of tow vehicle plus trailer should be under 18 meters, but it's too heavy for a Jeep 3.7, you'll need a stronger truck.

Jun 6, 2013
hunter 23.5 soton
I thought the 5000lbs was full loaded with water ballast. Dry the boat weights 1300KG? pls confirm this.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
empty the water from the ballast tank once it is on the trailer at the ramp. If you can convert dry weight of the boat is 3000 pounds and deplacement is 5000 pounds with the water ballast in the tank.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The information on line for the 23.5 is a little misleading so let me explain. Dry weight is 2000 pounds with a 1000 pound water ballast for a full displacement of 3000 pounds.
The 240 dry weight is 2300 pounds with a waterballast of 1300 pounds for a full displacement of 3600 pounds. In other words, the 240 itself weighs on the trailer 2300 pounds ( weight of trailer not included)