Newbie to the Catalina 22 fleet.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Thanks. Delivered a couple of boats there from North Carolina as a dealer and one notably was a Catalina 250.
If planning to remove the keel, please be safe and have many to help. Let me know you got it off safely. Would you want me to call and tell you how I would prep that keel?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
SD, Jelo, not to jump in here or to pre-empt Crazy Dave's pending good advice, but suggest you read Cloud divers thread, and others (on the keel)...that'll set u straight, helped me...fwiw...

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Catalina 22 Guntersville AL
I love it when a plan comes together. I read a lot of great threads on keel removal and prep. I have some ideas of my own as well. My wife the Skipper (we all know where the orders really come from) and I went down to the marina after church this morning and keel removal could not have gone smoother. It was a little frightening how easily the keel bolts came out, I was quote thankful though- saw videos of them snapping and heard horror stories. It is quite evident that the PO just scrapped the loose rust and applied about 4 coats of paint. The keel trunk has no paint. I whacked the keel a couple of times with a hammer and watched chunks fly.

This is where I could use some sage advice and experience form the crew here on this forum. Please take a look at the following pics and and let me know what you think. It will be about a week before I can get back to it. On the road for work. I am thinking of sand blasting and filling voids with Dev-Con a really expensive, really good steel filler, I have a neighbor that works on hydro electric turbines and he said this is the stuff that they use to fill with and it is better than the original steel- JB Weld on steroids. from there epoxy and fair to spec. That is my first thought. I value your opinions - I may not use them but they will be considered.
IMG_7165.JPG
IMG_7169.JPG
IMG_7174.JPG
IMG_7179.JPG
IMG_7185.JPG
IMG_7186.JPG

Jul 18, 2017
All in all it was a good days work. The lifting cable and eye looked to be in great shape. Is it worth spending the $$$ for sandblasting. I suppose worse off keels have been revived.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
It is fairly simple what I would have done from a dealer perspective. First I would of course remove that keel from underneath the boat and have that either wire brushed or sand blasted entirely. Either way, if you are near any boat, you will have to wash it off as the paint particles will air born fly over and if that happens, they can and will embed into the gel coat as it does come pourous over time without care like waxing.

Once you are to bare metal, a metal primer is necessary all over to avoid oxidation or rust which will occur quickly even in a dry climate. Use what ever but make sure it contains zinc chromate. Wear protection when spraying. Then fill in the pores/voids with a good two part expoxy. I used a more expensive item called Water Tite but it never failed for me over the years. It is a 24 hour cure which is good. Some voids may require 2 or more applications but what you want is a smooth surface. Then apply 3-4 coats of barrier coatings and then the anti fouling paint. Check locally what works best for your area. That pretty much sums it up and the dry times will vary with the weather conditions.

I looked at the pictures closely specifically the fourth and fifth ones concentrating on the fifth. I see that the metal has corroded above the keel pin hole that would give me much concern. Personally I would caution you as it could affect the integrity of the metal. Therefore, I would suggest that you contact Gerry Douglas with Catalina in Florida who is the chief engineer with the two photos mentioned to see what he thinks. That number is 727-544-6681. I would recommend this before you proceed on working the keel. Better to be safe than sorry.

Crazy Dave Condon

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I'd follow Dave's advice, not much will be left after a thorough sandblasting, and it appears the pivot pin hole has already been bushed...

Mine wasn't nearly as bad see thread here https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/another-newbie-hull-12502.179236/page-4

we got by with grinding/sanding, several coats of rust lock, several coats of epoxy barrier, and 3 coats of bottom paint...and bushing for the pin wasn't necessary.
Cloud divers pics and process are great, but his pics are not up due to photobucket issues... you can do a search for keel refinishing here on the board for more pics of the process by others, yours isn't the worst, but again, metal above pin hole is a concern.

Jul 18, 2017
Thanks for the advice I will call Catalina. You both keyed in on my major point of concern. Unfortunately it will be a little while before I can get back at it.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Bummer, looks like it was covered up well, good move to further investigate before splashing. Are you boat less till fixed? I'll let you know when I can get out on my O'Day if you want to come along, I can always use help and learn from others.

Jul 18, 2017
Bummer, looks like it was covered up well, good move to further investigate before splashing. Are you boat less till fixed? I'll let you know when I can get out on my O'Day if you want to come along, I can always use help and learn from others.
I appreciate that John - winds are light anyway right now. If anyone has a line on another keel please let me know

Jul 18, 2017
Sent pictures to Gerry @ Catalina he confirmed that it did not look good. Does anyone have an idea on where I can get a replacement and how much it should cost? Thanks for the help guys.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
new one is ~ 2k++....keep an eye on ebay and elsewhere, may find one for 500 buks ++

Jul 18, 2017
Thanks I did see one on eBay for 500 it needs a new bushing how hard is that.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Based on what I see/ you can see from the top of the keel I think you can expect major corrosion throughout. Your pin bushing does appear newish or at least well affixed without the typical "hogging", but I would head straight to the sandblaster and get on with it. You can try and cover that up, but without sandblasting you'll never truly stop the deterioration. Once blasted , epoxied and barrier coated- at least you're truly protecting the inferior cast from the elements.

Just bolted mine up for the last time-- total PITA but worth it:

IMG_0409.JPG
File_002 (9).jpeg

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Jelo...don't wanna give u false hope, but were it me, if I could find a local sandblaster for a hundred bucks to do the keel, you might get lucky, might not, but worth a c-note to find out, just a thought...

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
@CloudDiver 's keel was worse-- I've seen pictures of worse. You might be short changing yourself on a repair -- worth a sandblast to find out.

You need a tapered ream 1.5" for the bushing -- local machine shop did it for me for $150

Jul 18, 2017
Work has me on the road all week and I really just want to get back at it and figure it out. Thanks for all of the advice. When I get back I am going to take a closer look and strategically poke around with a hammer and a center punch and see how solid it is.