Newbie to the Catalina 22 fleet.

Jul 18, 2017
Catalina 22 Guntersville AL
My wife and I just up graded from an old 1969 Baymaster 18 to a 1977 Cat 22 hull #6832, we are naming "Reveille." I am an active duty Army Chaplain and wanted something not too bad to trailer sail where ever Uncle Sam may send me next, we also wanted something to enjoy overnight on and this Cat 22 fit the bill perfectly. We chose Reveille because it is my call and inspiration to get going, every bit as much as that bugle call in the morning, lol. I have read a couple of threads and gotten many ideas from the vast knowledge base here in this forum. I hope to add and share some of my experiences on the journey to come. Thank you for all you have already posted. Fair winds!

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Welcome aboard and congratulations on your new purchase. If you ever get posted to Ft. Benning, there's 4 lakes within a hundred miles of it that are pretty good for sailing and you're only 4 hours from the Gulf of Mexico.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Welcome to the forum and you will learn from questions asked from good sources to include for example @CloudDiver and others too. They own boats but ownership for me was as a former dealer selling Catalina sailboats as well. However, we are grateful for your service in the United States Army.
Fair winds and God Bless
Crazy Dave Condon, VMI

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Jelofam....likewise, thx for your service! and welcome to the group! suggest you read a couple years posts, esp. cloud diver, leeward rail, gene neill, jacktar, sacto dave, capt don1, and many others I've left out. Check out Chip Ahoy's site, Mainsail's page, and the albums section on this site, buy some books, Royces, Don Casey's, and join the C22 National Assn., you'll be up to speed in a hurry!

Great thing about your boat choice is the active ownership base, with 16k made to date, and still in production, parts, pieces, and advice are plentiful! Post some pics of Reveille throughout your journey!

Cheers from a Jarhead!
Ron

Jul 18, 2017
I know, I know what are blogs without pics. I had to download them from my wife's phone. Thank you for the kind words and the suggestions to read. Here are some of the initial pics.

Jul 18, 2017
First project is to get it up on stands and inspect the swing keel, I know she was sitting in salt water for part of her life. I also need to effect some repairs to the starboard support bulkhead under the settee and the in bow under the pulpit and forestay. Once that is done let's get her wet.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
First project is to get it up on stands and inspect the swing keel, I know she was sitting in salt water for part of her life. I also need to effect some repairs to the starboard support bulkhead under the settee and the in bow under the pulpit and forestay. Once that is done let's get her wet.
Just from what we can see in the first pic, the keel looks pretty durn good, the whole bottom looks pretty good, and the exterior wood looks fantastic. :thumbup:

Congratulations and welcome, from an old 11 Bravo/11 Mike. We're badly outnumbered by Navy pukes around here, thanks for tipping the scale a little. ;)

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Welcome aboard, remember not to mix up a hot mix of epoxy on a warm day unless you have planned well ahead. Har har.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Looks to be a good one! Keep the pics coming, maybe those bulkhead holes were for speakers? Teak looks great too!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Just caught you on another thread and saw your first posting, that looks just fine and totally ready for the lake.
Like I pointed you to before, North Alabama Sailing Marine could do a quick haul just to check that swing keel for you and I bet you will be fine. Your boat looks very good for Lake Guntersville, trust me!

http://www.sailbrownscreek.com/

Jul 18, 2017
Just caught you on another thread and saw your first posting, that looks just fine and totally ready for the lake.
Like I pointed you to before, North Alabama Sailing Marine could do a quick haul just to check that swing keel for you and I bet you will be fine. Your boat looks very good for Lake Guntersville, trust me!

http://www.sailbrownscreek.com/
Lol, I am a member of Browns Creek heading there this afternoon to put it on stands as soon as it cools off a bit. Want to help, I will be happy to buy dinner at Somewhere to the help.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Sorry just saw this we moved this week and are in moving hell. How long will you be on the stands? We really like the marina our O'day 25 is in slip 203.

Jul 18, 2017
John, had an awesome evening like any evening at the marina. Were in the middle of jacking and getting Reveille up on stands when we met a new friend. Scott had just finished cleaning the bilge on a Morgan and came over and lent a hand. Great evening got the her off the trailer and on to stands, no cranes involved, no slings, just some boat stands and a couple of jacks. In the Army we call it adventure learning. Afterwards I rewarded Scott with dinner and beer at Somewhere Restaurant. Good times all around and new friends. I love the sailing community. Will adjust and straighten stands on Sunday.
IMG_1890.JPG
IMG_1891.JPG
IMG_1895.JPG
IMG_1896.JPG

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Nice job, we like Somewhere also! Now what we really need is some cooler temps.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@jelofam
The stands that are adjacent from one another or the ones on the sides or port and starboard, if they are not secured to one another, please do so. You do not want the stands to kick out and boat fall on you. In addition I assume you did drop the keel instead of hanging up in the air?

Curios, are you on Guntersville Lake at a marina at the end of a causeway?

Jul 18, 2017
@jelofam
The stands that are adjacent from one another or the ones on the sides or port and starboard, if they are not secured to one another, please do so. You do not want the stands to kick out and boat fall on you. In addition I assume you did drop the keel instead of hanging up in the air?

Curios, are you on Guntersville Lake at a marina at the end of a causeway?
Currently the Keel is supported but plan on removing on Sunday. Looks like there is a good bit of flaking and lots of painted over rust. I will post pics when I get the keel down. Yes the stands are secured to eachother to prevent kicking out did not have chains but had heavy duty ratchet straps. Yes, I am at Browns Creek Sailing Marina at the end of the causeway.