Newbie Genoa Question

Capri

Jul 28, 2012
O'day 22 Nashville
buckley.jpg Hello, All. This may be specific to O'day owners, but not sure. I have 2 questions. Bought my '81 O'day 22 last year and have been completely baffled by the dilemma on flying my Genoa inside or outside the lifelines. I'm reading William F. Buckley's sailing book, Racing Through Paradise, and posted the photo of one of his boats below. You see the head sail outside the lines, but it looks awkward where it sits on top of the pulpit.
Question 1: Do I need to be using it outside the lines also? I used it for the first time last month on the inside and it seemed to trim nicely, but what do I know? You all are the experts.
Question 2: In the photo, the sail is not trimmed in very much. Do you think he was sailing down wind? Keep in mind I'm still learning, but I was under the impression these sails were generally pretty taught.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
If you want to go to weather, inside.

Remember the Bill Buckley was a RICH man. And rich men never sail to weather. That boat is beam reaching, or deeper, and the sail and sheets are up and over the lifelines.