Newbe purchased #14612 this week.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Catalina 22 Panama City, FL
Lee and I are planning on attending cruise this month. Really looking forward to meeting more owners.

Lane

Jun 9, 2016
catalina 22 Spring City, tn
So I take it everyone is satisfied with the cheaper version as far as not having it fold up on them?

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Mine is from West Marine. Twist to lock feature works great. Plastic end clips....not so impressive.

Lane

Jun 9, 2016
catalina 22 Spring City, tn
Mine is from West Marine. Twist to lock feature works great. Plastic end clips....not so impressive.

Lane
I think they are all made by Forespar. Just to upgrade the end clips would cost more than the upgraded pole, it seems. But again, is the pole itself strong enough to hold up to an accidental gybe?

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
With whisker pole deployed my Genoa is locked into position. We hook sail, hook mast, then take in sheet. This locks Genoa in deployed position for light air and wing on wing. I enjoy using it and will continue even if I must replace ends. I have considered fabricating removable ends so I can use as boat hook also.

I suppose an accidental gybe would lead to a hove to position as genoa would back fill. Accidental gybe seems pretty remote with all sails rigged with preventers during downwind sail.

Lane

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I think they are all made by Forespar. Just to upgrade the end clips would cost more than the upgraded pole, it seems. But again, is the pole itself strong enough to hold up to an accidental gybe?
I have no worries about mine. If it ever broke, I'd probably be glad it did.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
IMG_2035.JPG
Headed out of Panama City for Crooked Island on fall Honky Tonk Cruise. Conditions perfect. I'll post updates.

Lane

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
IMG_2048.JPG

Left Crooked Island 8:30 am. Great sail until wind died per forecast. Ducked into Mexico Beach for lunch at Flamingos. That's Hoosier Daddy in the background.

Our group is pretty split up. Basically three groups at this time. Everyone on different schedule. Work has me sticking to original itenerary.

Lane

Aug 16, 2016
Catalina C22 Panama City, Fl
My wife and I were at the Panama City Marina watching the bay, the gulls and various boats coming and going. Then noticed Capt Don's Y-Knot at the guest dock. Was very envious of all who went on the annual cruise on Florida's panhandle. It has renewed vigor to get going and get in the water.

Geoff

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
IMG_2063.JPG

Cruising the ICW with Honah Lee.

IMG_2067.JPG

Beer with a shrimper who helped us tie up.

IMG_2070.JPG

Tied up in Appalachicola. We had a great dinner just steps from here.

The trip was fantastic. We experienced a lot and learned a lot. Regretfully we had to stick to original schedule as most of group took a few rest days. We stayed ahead of most boats for entire time and therefore didn't get to meet many crews. One day we covered 46 miles offshore. A tough down wind slog with following seas. However, good experience which will be valuable in future sails.

Lane

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Lee and I just got to St Martin. We're renting a Leopard 4000 for a week. I hope it doesn't spoil us!

Lane

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
I had Hoosier Daddy out of the slip all winter taking care of some projects. Our VHF was in an awkward location hanging vertical by the cabin hatch. I upgraded to a new VHF and mounted it in a horizontal position using some studs that were sticking out of the cabin roof. I fabricated an aluminum plate and it really worked out good. I also moved the stereo from the area above the factory drawer to the area above the cooler step. This allows us to actually see the radio settings and not bump into it going forward. I also removed all the interior wood and sanded/varnished it. I also refinished most of the exterior wood with the exception of the crib boards which I'll do later. We just ran out of time and wanted to get the boat back in the water for some sailing last week. As you can see Lee is most content when the boat is in the water!

[/IMG]

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
Looking good. Thanks for sharing!

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Look honey! I got free sails and a bazillion dollar hat :) Looks awesome!

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Nice mods. I especially like the re-use of the existing studs, along with a plate, to mount the radio.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
The "free" Hyde hat has been a favorite.

When I ordered the Main sail I only got one reefing point even though a second was only an additional $20. After having a situation where we needed a deeper reef I decided to have the local loft install a second reefing point. I am embarrassed to say that instead of $20 it cost me $350. Lesson learned. Buy all the options you may need when placing the initial order.

Do you guys manage to reef while under way or do you point into the wind for reefing? So far I have only reefed when hoisting and have not had to reef under way.

Lane

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
It's possible to reef under way, but we just heave to to do it. Much safer and easier.

Big thumbs up on that second reef point. Sorry it cost you the extra dough, but you still did the right thing. :thumbup:

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Sad to say Hoosier Daddy has a new family. It was like selling a part of our family.

Lee and I have purchased a Catalina 250. It's a one owner fresh water boat. I'm currently waiting on the completion of a new trailer and then we will move "Crow's Nest" to Panama City. Gotta change that name!

This forum and its members were a great part of the Catalina 22 experience. Thanks guys!

Lane

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Congrats on the sale of the boat and the purchase of the new one.
Stick around. The 250 owners are not as friendly. ;)

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Congratulations on your new C-250! I've looked at them over the years and I think you and your wife will enjoy the bigger boat.