Newbe purchased #14612 this week.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Catalina 22 Panama City, FL
Started sailing with a 12' sunfish knock off by "Formosa" in 1979 at age 12. Sailed that fine craft until 2012. I don't know how my parents let me venture miles down the beach on that surfboard. I finally moved up to a Hobie Holder 14 for use around Panama City, FL two years ago. Last month my wife, daughter, her boyfriend and myself ventured way to far away and barely made it back before dead dark. That night my wife suggested a bigger craft with a motor. Being an obliging husband I began looking at Catalina 22 ads until by eyes felt burned.

Last weekend we closed on a "needing love" 1988 Cat 22 wing keel sitting in a lovely slip in Panama City. I wanted the sexier looking deck on the later models and love a good restoration project (I restore aircraft for a part time job). Last winter we complety removed and reapplied gel coat to our Standard Cirrus Sailplane so gel coat is now my friend.

This sturdy ship was tricked out for racing by an owner some where in its history. The owner who moved her to this slip reportedly sailed her quite a bit but liked to do business with Sea Tow so grounded on sand bars on a regular basis. He sold her to a young man who had high dreams but his Wal Mart job did not pay enough to keep her up. We rescued her with an inch of water sloshing around in the cabin floor. Lee and I spent three days on her last weekend removing lots of camping garbage, uncovering the various lockers and bilge boards, pumping and sponging her dry. We even raised the sails which were reportedly rotten. The jib is very sea worthy while the main has some sun burn in about a one foot square area that was peaking out from under the cover. I have sent the main to a sail shop for inspection and estimate. We ordered a new 5 hp Tohatsu which will be here Monday. We also scrapped the oyster bed from the bottom the best we could given the murky water in the lagoon. Numerous projects to go but that is what I love. I desperately need a trailer and a mast crutch so I can get her home and work in earnest. However the slip has been paid through September so we will probably sail around the bay, find cleaner water and scrape the hull some more before loading up for trailer ride home.

I look forward to being a salty member of the Catalina 22 group. Here's to beautiful sunsets and warm breezes!

Apr 26, 2010
catalina 22 lake tillery NC
Welcome aboard this is a fine sight to be on. My first cat 22 was an 89 with the wing keel some videos are on you tube under "PIEDPIPERIII" you can see that boat in action loved it to death and miss it dearly.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Congratulations! The "new design" C-22's are my favorite looking version.

Don't know if you're aware that you live in some prime C-22 country. C-22 Fleet-77 is just west of you at Ft Walton Beach. They are hosting the C-22 Nationals again in 2016, and also host the annual "North Gulf Coast Cruise". One of the most active C-22 Fleets in the association.

Have you checked out the latest issue of the MainBrace? The issue has a lot of information on the model C-22 that you just purchased.

Welcome aboard and get involved with the other C-22 folks in your area, you'll learn more and enjoy the boat even more.

We'll be attending both of those events, and we'll be looking for you.

Don

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
Welcome aboard.
Post lots of pictures LOL

Russ

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Welcome aboard.
Post lots of pictures LOL

Russ
Here's some of the "before restoration" pics. Some of the pictures in my album are orienting 90 degrees out for some reason.

Lane

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
I like the woodwork, especially the table....

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
I like the woodwork, especially the table....
Thanks, its embarrassing to show her in such poor and dirty condition. But - I can look back later and appreciate the final results. These pics were in fact taken Friday when we first laid eyes on "Hoosier Daddy". By Sunday evening my wife and I had everything looking much more tidy.

Lane

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Attached is the rudder. I brought the rudder home thinking it just needed a new tiller. After studying other rudders on your boats I think mine is a bastardized version. You guys can probably tell me what I have. It appears that the entire assembly is an aluminum casting. It does swing and it has the stainless friction adjusting arm on the port side. The upper stainless fixture which holds the tiller is slightly undersized and the tiller I purchased will have to be sized down where it enters the fitting. I have two steel straps which came with the new tiller and will probably add them.

1) Do any of you guys recognize this rudder?
2) Are the tiller handles suppose to swing up for changing sides of the cockpit as you come about? Mine swings up but there are some shims that displace randomly when you swing it. I could weld aluminum shims in place to solve this problem. It seems there should be a friction adjustment if it is suppose to swing up.
3) I this a usable rudder? Buy the way. The bottom pindle has been replaced with a bolt. So basically this rudder bolts into place instead of being a "quick release" action.

Lane

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Some of the pictures in my album are orienting 90 degrees out for some reason.
If you're posting from a tablet or smartphone, you might need to turn off the auto rotate feature.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Congrats on the new acquisition, Bushav! I also own an '88, #14383. Your exterior wood looks well loved ... clean her up and post more pics!

I don't know what rudder that is, but it doesn't look like a C22. Could be a case of the original being stolen, and the owner making do with whatever was on hand/cheapest. FWIW, I have been seeing used C22 kick-up rudders on eBay selling for around $250, or top of the line brand new ones (Ruddercraft) for about a grand. I plan on selling mine next spring, when I upgrade to a Ruddercraft.

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Thanks, its embarrassing to show her in such poor and dirty condition. But - I can look back later and appreciate the final results. These pics were in fact taken Friday when we first laid eyes on "Hoosier Daddy". By Sunday evening my wife and I had everything looking much more tidy.

Lane
Don't be embarrassed, I spent 2 hours doing the mad cleaning dance before my wife got home so she wouldn't think I was crazy for buying such a mess. After you've poured a few gallons of sweat into her, that will just make her all the more precious to you guys.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
Congrats on the new acquisition, Bushav! I also own an '88, #14383. Your exterior wood looks well loved ... clean her up and post more pics!

I don't know what rudder that is, but it doesn't look like a C22. Could be a case of the original being stolen, and the owner making do with whatever was on hand/cheapest. FWIW, I have been seeing used C22 kick-up rudders on eBay selling for around $250, or top of the line brand new ones (Ruddercraft) for about a grand. I plan on selling mine next spring, when I upgrade to a Ruddercraft.
Gene,

If you upgrade let me know. I may be a ready buyer for your cast off.

Lane

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Congratulations on your new to you sailboat! Keep up the good work and post lots of pictures of your progress, it helps all the others who can't sail at the moment.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
The cover was worth its weight in gold. Protected the wood nicely.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
The front hatch hardware was broken. New Bowman hardware already received and ready for installation next visit. This photo will be my "two happiest days in a boater's life" photo.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
I just got a call back from CB Sails in Panama City. Main will need four hours of labor plus materials to repair sun burn. Labor is $95 per hour! They suggest building a new sail for around $850. Any suggestions from the group?

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Lane,

Congrats on the 'new to you' C-22. You certainly found a boat that is in much better condition to start with than what many of us had to del with in the beginning.

Your skills with Aircraft tell us you will do amazing work on clean up and improvements. I'm excited to see what you will do. For the gelcoat, at least around the hull from the rub-rail down I doubt you would ever need to strip it and re-spray. You would be amazed at what you can do with a 400 then 600 grit wet sand followed by polishing compound and a wool bonnet. Sweat equity may be high, but actual $$$ amount is very low to make the hull look brand-new. If you have scratches anywhere that are deep enough to need filling, go to http://www.spectrumcolor.com/Items.aspx?key=cat&code=K&manu=CATALINA&incl_m=T This gel-paste is perfect for scratches, easy to use and factory color matched. 2 oz goes a LONG way!

For the decks, hopefully they are not so chaulky and damaged to require re-spraying but it sounds like have the skills to do it! If I had the equipment and space I would have chosen gel-coat over paint for my own hull, but for those reasons I went with Interlux Brightsides.

When you get around to hauling her out... consider renting or borrowing a trailer just to get her home. I could write a super long post about how to set up a trailer for a C22 but nobody wants to read all that, LOL! Look on craigslist for used Brownell boat stands, should be easy to find in FL. I got a set of 4 for $250 in excellent condition, best investment in tools/equipment for a boat that needs a bottom job!

If you look on my build thread you'll see a boat cradle I made out of lumber. Not as good as Brownell Stands but it rolls around nicely, which might be a good option.

I also have a spare standard rudder, but it is for <1985 hulls so I'm not sure it would work, but it might.

For sails, call Judy at Hyde Sails direct, they are online too. I just got a complete set of sails from her and they rock! If you want to keep you current Main as a spare I'm sure you could do the repair work yourself with a standard sewing machine.

bushav

Aug 18, 2015
I just talked to Judy. Great resource. Placed an order for

Catalina 22 Cruising Mainsail (Challenge Hi Modulus Dacron) [Sail Cloth:Challenge Hi Modulus 6.03 Dacron][Design:CrossCut][Wind Range:Usually under 20 kts, occasionally to 25][Reefs:1 Reef][Batten Type:Standard Fiberglass (Not Tapered)][Battens:1 Full, 3 Partial][Trim Stripes?:Draft Stripes][Enter your sail #:14612]

In the long run I am sure this is better than repairing my old tattered sail. It is just more money in that hole in the water!

Lane

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Welcome bushav !
Nice looking boat. She doesn't appear to need much work at all.
Good move on the sail. IMO it makes a lot more sense to simply replace it, when they get that bad.

I must say I'm a bit envious of the forward hatch. My "new design" has the fiberglass one with the goofy tiny deadlight. :)