New Tow Vehicle

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It all depends on how much of a load you are towing, over what distance and type of terrain. Don't forget about having a little extra to pull the boat out of the water in a steep ramp. Unfortunately these days family sedans are unable to do double duty so unless you can find a 70s car you must buy a truck. Unless in your line of work you can use a truck then the sensible thing would be to purchase used and the cheapest that could do the work. Obviously if you are towing a big assed boat for long distances in the rocky mountains you will need a more expensive truck than if you are towing a 3000# boat 1/2 mile in flat terrain. With distance comes the issue of reliability; if you are towing 1200 miles away from home you need a newer and more expensive vehicle than if you are just going around the block. Make a list of your requirements as far as capacity, mileage, model year and define the most that you would be willing to pay. When purchasing used warranties are limited and you can either get a gem or clunker. Unless you have confidence in your abilities have a trusted mechanic check the vehicle out. Japanese trucks have a better reputation for reliability than the Americans but that is in general terms. All these trucks are assembled in the US so don't feel unpatriotic by choosing one over the others. Look for the best deal that will offer reliability and capability to do the work and remember that your needs are likely different than those of the next guy who may have a different criteria for his ideal towing vehicle.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
With distance comes the issue of reliability; if you are towing 1200 miles away from home you need a newer and more expensive vehicle than if you are just going around the block
Or get something old that is is great shape and have even more reliability. ;)
The more I run an automotive shop, the more I dislike, and distrust new vehicles.

A recent case in point…. I was just down in Detroit Lakes for a race.
While towing the rally car on a trailer, with a Sprinter van, the transmission would randomly stop shifting.
It would get stuck in whichever gear you were currently in.
After talking to a great guy on another team, who owned the previous van model…. I learned that if you have rear bulb, or trailer light problems, the Canbus system will have errors, which can make the transmission go into limp mode ! Unplug the trailer lights and the transmission consistently shifts without problems. Plug them in, and random transmission issues occur.
You don't have that type of BS happen with older vehicles/designs, due to decreased electronic complexity.

Last edited:

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina 22 Vancouver, WA
Late model Sprinters are notorious for trailer problems. They have a separate computer that runs just the trailer plug. We get them in at work all the time as RV’s that are built on the Sprinter chassis. About every 5th one that comes in has a non-functioning trailer plug.

Aug 31, 2017
Catalina Catalina 22 Tampa
I’ve got an 08 Tundra crew cab and love it! Lots of power and a great towing truck. Lots of room inside. My fathers chevy 1500 ran good but lacked power and the cheap plastic they use in their interiors falls apart. My interior still looks as good as the day I bought it. And my favorite feature is the roll down back window.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I bought a ford F150 super crew, with an extended bed, and a Leer cap over the bed. It's been a great tow vehicle for 8 years, no problems at all. Back in 2010 the whole package cost about 40k. I'd buy the same thing again if it goes belly-up. Not towing, it averages about 18mpg in suburban traffic. Towing a C22 or 19 ft center console it gets about 13-14.