New to sailing!

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
... have a handheld VHF with you!
One of the least useful expenditures that I have ever made has been my handheld VHF radio. I've been sailing on a lake in Alabama for three years. The lake has two sailing-only marinas, LOTS of fishermen, quite a bit of barge traffic, in addition to other motor boaters, pontoon boats, and trawlers passing through.

Not one time have I ever heard any communication on the VHF. I asked other sailors and all the fishermen that I know why that is and they all told me that they don't use radios - they use cell phones. Even the sailing marina does not monitor VHF. They do tell their members to call the marina's phone if help is needed. They rarely answer their phone, so I guess the next recourse is 911.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
When sailing in the ocean, a VHF is more of a must have, especially if you sometimes need to duck into the ditch & call a bridge tender or call ahead to a couple of marinas to see who might have a slip open for you that evening or call a fuel dock, or hail a nearby vessel while off shore, or get a weather report when out of cell range, etc. Lakes can be a different story.

You probably aren't going to need an epirb on a small lake either. :D

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Hey @jwing I'll talk to you next time out! I'd like to see if my mast mounted antenna is even working, I've heard radio checks a few times but nobody has ever responded to my calls.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
Hey John:
I've stopped bringing my radio - one less thing to think about. But now that I know you have one, I might just put it aboard if I see your boat is gone. I don't think that we've ever been sailing at the same time.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
I have sailed on inland lakes, the Great Lakes,currently Lake Erie, & the oceans, taken sailing courses and safety at sea seminars.
As sailors we make our own choices, for our safety and the safety of our crew, If you ever go overboard, you go in as you are!,
again all your choice but its your safety and the safety of your crew.,I have had handheld VHF's for years even on small inland lakes, What price safety, again all choices, have fun, enjoy learning!