New to sailing and just got my first boat

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
LOL... the OP posted this question on first visit and has never come back.
Probably because she had to put an "emergency stop" on that outboard install.;)
Her boat will be a "gem" after cleaning.
Jim...

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Might have just moved on after seeing almost no support for installing an outboard engine on an Endeavor yacht. That might have signaled the end of the cruising & live-a-board idea, especially if anticipated at "low cost.":(

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
You guys are assuming the OP ever came back. I'm betting not.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
I've seen a lot of OBs mounted on sailboats, that were basically live a boards. (its cheap housing in an otherwise expensive location)

a honda 25 with the extra long shaft and a low pitch prop would work, in flat water, and to move around the bay. it has remote controls, and good selection of props.

The problem as many mentioned is in a short choppy sea. Like when entering or exiting a narrow channel.

As long as the boat stays on the 'inside' she will be Ok. (I'd get the unlimited tow from boats us, for ~150 /yr.).

you can also get a jacking plate with hydraulics that will help get the engine out of the water. my guess is all in $4-5k for an outboard with controls and jack plate.

I would imagine the boat is only worth a little over the cost of the ob setup...

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Engine is blown gonna pull it and put on an outboard motor.
Congrats on your new boat. As others have advised, an outboard motor on this size and type of boat would lead to an unhappy ending. List is long on the reasons why, as others have already chimed in, for your intended use of the boat a wiser choice would include an in-kind engine replacement. Best to set off on the right foot as opposed to shooting yourself in the foot.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Somehow "cruising" and "outboard" do not go together. The Pardeys and others have extensively cruised the world "engineless" but that entails a lot of seamanship and a very rustic existence.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
If my seamanship was up to it and my bank account could support the conversion I'd do it for the adventure

Last edited:

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The limitations of engine-less sailing was solved about 100 years ago by the the watermen of the Chesapeake Bay. The pusher. This one has a turbo diesel but I have seen innovative watermen equip their pushers with everything from Chevy big-blocks to 4 cylinder Ford industrial engines. Note the engine and transmission controls to the ship's helm. Swings up onto the davits once you go sailing.