New to me O'day25, need help getting her right for sailing.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
.Sanal - term for sailors who get upset about the correct use of esoteric sailing terms.
Hey you there--dude! Pull on that there rope in front of you and wrap it around that round thingy there on your left and keep pulling until I say stop. Not that one--the one next to it!!! Geeze. No, no--wrap it the other way!!

Last edited:

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
sounds like how I talk to my wife.. LOL.

Ritdog

Jul 18, 2011
Oday 25 Portland, ME
The mid-deck blocks are for smaller jibs, the ones on the tracks are for larger ones, like l60s and the like. The jib sheet (line) for those goes aft to the block, then forward to the winch. Made that mistake- learned the hard way. The jib sheets always run outside of the rail.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Hello DRA!
The block that is deck mounted appears to be an add-on feature, perhaps installed by the previous owner. They will trip you if you don't watch out. This appears to be a deck-mounted fairlead for your headsail, that you would use instead of the fairlead on the track. I'm assuming this block is further forward than the track-mounted fairlead, so it is intended to be used with a smaller headsail (non-overlapping), and it will draw your clew further inboard for tighter pointing (tacking) angles. Fixed-mounted fairleads are not the best because the position gives you very limited control of your sail shape when you are sailing. Basically, you can't adjust the sail shape for optimal performance if you can't move the position of that fairlead. But they are not uncommon on small sailboats with simple systems.

Those blocks mounted to the side decks are not previous owner added, they are the factory-stock jibsheet blocks for the small, "working jib", the standard, original jib on the O'DAY 25 would have used those blocks. Many owners have switched to a larger Genoa Jib that uses the blocks on the tracks located further aft, but the deck-mounted blocks would be original from the factory.
I echo the advice about learning the names of all these parts, in the long run it is less confusing and helps you sound like you really know what you are doing, may help you feel more confident too!

Attachments

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Those blocks mounted to the side decks are not previous owner added, they are the factory-stock jibsheet blocks for the small, "working jib", the standard, original jib on the O'DAY 25 would have used those blocks.
Yes, I'd have to admit that I'm not that familiar with O'Day. Those photos are excellent for showing the set up and now we can see how the winch is set in relation to both the jib sheet block ahead of it and the genoa sheet track behind it. Makes more sense to me now. Just wondering ... to O'day owners complain about tripping on the jib sheet and/or the block when going forward?

Last edited:

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Just wondering ... to O'day owners complain about tripping on the jib sheet and/or the block when going forward?
Yes. The 25 has a narrow deck to begin with so that standup block and jib sheet going through it was a pain.

Jan 11, 2018
Oday 25 Trailer at home, then MEXICO!
Great info! I will be adding to the discussion as we are getting our 78 O'day 25 delivered within the month. Will need lots of help with rigging, plus we have a boom vang to figure out. Any one have ideas or pics for a mast raising system, too? Super newbie, and ready to learn. Fortunately, the local sailing school uses an O'Day 27 for teaching! We will be trailering our boat for the after-lesson practice, and hope to bribe the instructor to help with launching and rigging.

Anyone on this forum in AZ?

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Anyone on this forum in AZ?
Lake Havasu City for winter sailing, some place in the west for summer sailing. If there is a sailing school you must be near Lake Pleasant. If you were over here 10 folks, from our group, would show up for your first mast raising. Boom vang is not a problem. I'll see if I can get some pictures of my setup when I sail today. It's a cascade 8:1 system, with a boomkicker, and snap shackles so it can be used as a preventer. Here is a video of my mast raising system.

Jan 11, 2018
Nice system! We will have to get to LHC next winter! We are near Tombstone, and trailering her here to get the rigging checked over and set up. Then to LP for lessons, practice, etc.

Alisa

Jan 11, 2018
Will post more pics as we get her cleaned up. These pics were taken in 2016. Her gel coat needs a shining, and some tlc inside. Will post progress. Expecting her here by end of month or early february

Jan 11, 2018
What's wrong with that expensive boom vang setup? Boat looks good.
LOL - nothing wrong with the boom vang - I just have no idea what to do with it - like I said, NEWBIE! :)

Can't wait to get her home and start working on her (and asking for help!)

Alisa

Dec 26, 2017
O'day 25 Hales Bar Marina
So a new update for my oday25.
I have officially sailed her! Took her out on Tuesday January 22rd.
She handled well and was quick with steady wind. Unfortunately I have learned that my mainsail was a bit dry rotted. And it tore under a heavy gust. So if anyone can help me find an affordable replacement I would greatly appreciate it.