New to me O'Day 23

Mar 2, 2017
Oday 23-2 Charleston SC
Hi, we recently bought a 1978 23-2 to learn to sail on. She is in pretty good shape, but one thing that needs looking at is the centerboard. I will have to lift it off the trailer, but as I have never seen the underside of the keel I am unsure how much clearance I would need. For the sake of safety I would like to set it on blocking at the front and rear of the keel, is there room to do this or does the CB slot extend too close to the front and rear ends of the keel? I appreciate any advise or recommendations you could give... 20170205_203235.jpg

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I believe u have room in front and rear of keel stub. I would only raise it enough to get it off the trailer. If you needed to you could dig a hole to allow the centerboard to drop once on blocks. I hate putting a boat on blocks. I always fear the worst.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
If you come back to this forum I will explain a few other things to take care of while you have the CB out.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
Such as?.......
1) Sealing the bottoms of the screw holes for the plates that hold the wedges. I did not put much sealant on the screws in case removal was required down the road. Water weeped from these holes for 2 weeks.
2) Using a temporary spacer between the CB and the wedges until sealant cures and not a lot of sealant on the wedge in case you have to remove the CB again. A small amount of sealant will keep the wedges from rattling.
3) Smoothing the groove the original cable cut into the CB trunk where the halyard tube is attached in the CB well. Some of these have cut all the way through causing a leak at this junction. This is probably the cause of most problems after someone changes the halyard to line that is larger than the original cable diameter.
4) If you are going to use line instead of cable for the halyard (I recommend line) line the halyard tube with Pex tubing for a smoother running halyard. It's tricky but you can seal the Pex tubing where it comes into the top of the CB well with 5200 to eliminate leaks in the old FG tube.
5) Redesign the halyard to CB attachment so the line does not have a knot on the trailing edge of CB to catch in the tube at full up. This is done by carefully drilling a hole into the trailing edge along the axis of the CB. At about 3" from trailing edge drill a 3/4" hole from side to side. Feed the line through the trailing edge and tie a knot that can rest inside the 3/4" hole. Seal holes with sealant that can be removed.
6) Before painting or barrier coating the CB, trial fit and check for clearance inside the well. Some wells have collapsed slightly and you may have to remove some CB fiberglass to get enough clearance.
7) If the CB swing pin is a tight fit open the hole or sand the pin. You want a little free play to eliminate some of the problems in number 6
After 18 months of sailing at least once a week a small child can pull up the CB, my halyard has no wear (yet) and the bilge is dry.

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
thanks, all good stuff
Had my 23-2 4 seasons now, so far no leaks, did have one lost screw from the CB plates, just drove a lag bolt up and in.

Oct 10, 2009
Catalina 27 Lake Monroe
When I got under my boat I found only I'd wedge holding the pin. It looked like it had been sailing that way for many years.