New-to-me '83 Mac 25 questions, oh so many questions

Aug 14, 2017
MacGregpr 25 Brookville
So.... small disasters all weekend. Managed, barely, not to end up in hospital, so all is mostly good!
- Bought brand new battery for boat. Battery will run lights, but will not get the motor started with the electric start. I can get the motor to run with the pull cord- once. After it has been idling for a few (5+ minutes) it just peters out and dies. Seems to be enough gas in line. Has a reasonably new oil filter, new gas, new plug. Any ideas on where to start looking at this issue?

My mast issues: I was using a gin pole to straighten my mast. I had too short of a bowline, and too much slack in my stern line. Was attempting to pull mast into better alignment, when the support strap for the gin pole gave way. Mast went down on us like gravity was its best friend ever. Gin pole got wedged, mast went sideways a bit, and twisted the base plate. One of the spreaders got smooshed up where it attaches to mast (that is the easy part to fix, I think!). Is it possible to straighten out the mast bolt/base/thingy, or should I just say to heck with it and get a new one? If I should get a new one, any suggestions where I might get one? Whichever way I go, is there a better, stronger, more stable way to mount that to the cabin cover than just three (currently mismatched) bolts? I was thinking that a backing plate on each side of the fiberglass would give it strength.... Any input?
Also, the base of the mast is pinked or dimpled inwards...repair or replace it?

-Has anyone used Seadek or similar products on your boat? I'm considering getting mine done with Seadck... better grip when I am standing, and a bit of padding in case I need to kneel. I can't currently kneel with my prosthesis, as it costs about $250 out of pocket each time I kneel and perforate the sleeve that holds my leg on. Yes, before you ask, I've tried knee pads, but they don't stay in place on a fake leg.

Safety tip: Don't fall your full weight backwards to land unimpeded and rump first on the batter cable end, with the wing nuts up. It leaves an incredibly painful bruise, even as well-padded as my rump is!

thanks all!

Last edited:

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
...- Bought brand new battery for boat. Battery will run lights, but will not get the motor started with the electric start.
Something doesn't sound right there. Where is the battery located and what size wiring between it and the outboard and are all terminals clean?

Sumner
======================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Aug 14, 2017
MacGregpr 25 Brookville
1. battery is in the hatch under the forward settee in the cabin.
2. fuel tank in the rear of cockpit. hard to see in pic but it sits on a wood base that has drain slots cut into the face so water can drain back to the cockpit drain in the rear. the tank cover is wood also and provides more bench space for "stuff".
View attachment 140430

3. do NOT store fuel tank below decks. nuff said.
Thanks Russ!
1. Do you keep your motor attached to the battery when it is in the forward hatch? If so, how do you do it?
2. Nice fuel tank setup. In your picture, there is a panel of some sort standing up over it, with a lock attached. What is that panel?
3. Roger that!
Dash

Aug 14, 2017
MacGregpr 25 Brookville
Something doesn't sound right there. Where is the battery located and what size wiring between it and the outboard and are all terminals clean?

Sumner
======================================================================
I know, right? Terminals seem to be clean: no corrosion, I've wiped them off, they seem to be attached well...I put the battery on the bench at the stern, about 2 feet from the transom. I tightened the terminals when I connected it, so they should have had a good connection.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Thanks Russ!
1. Do you keep your motor attached to the battery when it is in the forward hatch? If so, how do you do it?
2. Nice fuel tank setup. In your picture, there is a panel of some sort standing up over it, with a lock attached. What is that panel?
3. Roger that!
Dash
My motor is recoil start only, with no charger, so......
The panel is the fiberglass companionway door. sometimes I stow it there wile sailing, other times I leave it in the truck. ;)

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
Have you checked the fuel filter yet? Could be some gook in there that is choking off the fuel supply.

Aug 14, 2017
MacGregpr 25 Brookville
Have you checked the fuel filter yet? Could be some gook in there that is choking off the fuel supply.
Thought I did before putting it in the water, but was also working on a lawn mower, chain saw, and weed eater, so I might have mis-remebered. ...but I will check next time I am at the boat! I'll pick one up and take with me, just in case.

Aug 14, 2017
MacGregpr 25 Brookville
Any air in the line? Does the bulb stay "hard" when you squeeze it after idling for awhile?
I believe so. Of course, now that you ask, it's making me question it! I'm going back on Friday or Saturday, and will get it to start and then monitor that if it dies again. If it does, do you have any suggestions?

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
I had the same sort of thing happen with my 2.5 hp Suziki this last weekend.. Turned out that I had barely opened the vent on the gas tank.. Things improved after I opened the vent all the way.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Be sure the tank vent is open
Use battery cables direct from the battery to the starter motor and go from there
Use side stays when stepping The mast
The mast step is just to position the mast , the stays do that.
Stay off your ass:biggrin::biggrin:

Aug 14, 2017
MacGregpr 25 Brookville
Reposting this part from earlier post, as we all got caught up in my engine issues (which is fine now! Thanks!)

My mast issues: I was using a gin pole to straighten my mast. I had too short of a bowline, and too much slack in my stern line. Was attempting to pull mast into better alignment, when the support strap for the gin pole gave way. Mast went down on us like gravity was its best friend ever. Gin pole got wedged, mast went sideways a bit, and twisted the base plate. One of the spreaders got smooshed up where it attaches to mast (that is the easy part to fix, I think!). Is it possible to straighten out the mast bolt/base/thingy, or should I just say to heck with it and get a new one? If I should get a new one, any suggestions where I might get one? Whichever way I go, is there a better, stronger, more stable way to mount that to the cabin cover than just three (currently mismatched) bolts? I was thinking that a backing plate on each side of the fiberglass would give it strength.... Any input?

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
Oy-yoy-yoy - lucky nobody got hit or worse!!

To your questions: could you send a picture of the mast base, the bent mast step and the spreader? Hard to diagnose without a visual, especially the mast base.

Also, imho, you probably need to replace the bolts that hold the mast step. While you've got it apart, you can assess as to whether or not you need a backing plate, or some big honkin' washers. In all these years, I've never had an issue with it. Every season before I pull up the mast, I'm giving the hairy eyeball to everything anyway so I hopefully reduce the odds of having an issues during the season.

BTW, what was to fix for your motor?

Cheers,

Ron

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Reposting this part from earlier post, as we all got caught up in my engine issues (which is fine now! Thanks!)

Some thoughts on your "mast bolt/base/thingy" its called a tabernacle. If you look around the internet you will see many that have been bent and then hammered back into shape (including mine). Do take it off the boat for this! If it got wrenched around chances are that if you just slap it back together the bolt holes through the deck will leak. If the deck under that tabernacle is "cored" like mine is (was), you will be asking for a soft top from a wet core. I have had to recore mine twice. The third time I just laid it up as solid fiberglass under the tabernacle to keep any leaks from migrating through the rest of the core in that deck top. The 3 bolts are fine provided you stop wrenching the tabernacle around when using your gin pole. Use baby stays on your mast to keep it from flopping around side to side while raising and lowering.
I did put an 1/4" aluminum plate on the inside of the deck opposite of the tabernacle.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Keep in mind that if a mast goes down it will pull out the bolts, along with any backing plate or washers involved. nothing will stop that, and the damage will be extensive to the cabin top relative to the size of the backing.
Just food for thought.

Mar 9, 2009
Macgregor 26S New Port Richey, Fl
I went from a M25 to a M26S. Both boats use a similar to Garlick motor mount. To get the motor from the truck or shed to the boat a wheeled motor carrier. To get the now 8 hp. 4 stroke extra long shaft up to the motor mount, I now use a floor jack. I put the skeg of the motor on the Jack pad while holding it vertical and side ways to the board mount so the clamp bracket does not get in the way. I then raise the jack high enough so the clamps clear the board and rotate the motor clamps over the board. You could have the wife jack the motor up while you balance it. I usually just work the jack handle with one foot. Simple release the jack to lower the motor fully on the board.

Aug 14, 2017
MacGregpr 25 Brookville
So, after a long, nasty winter, I'm ready to think about getting this boat underway again. If you've bothered to take the time reading above posts, I dropped my mast last year and damned near killed my wife. Now I've got to get the mast fixed so that 1, we can sail, and 2, she doesn't damned near kill me.
Here's 2 photos of the bottom of the mast. The mast step is bent all to hell, of course, so I will get a new one of those. There's minimal damage to the fiberglass, but I'm set to repair and reinforce that anyway. My biggest concern is the mast itself-- do I need to get this replaced, can it be fixed, or do I sell a kidney and buy a new one? Let me know what you advise please! Ignore the leaves and debris in the mast itself-- I took these a few months ago, and I've since cleaned it out.

Attachments

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
If the picture #2 is the only damage I would stick a pipe in there and wack it with a bfg and gt it as close as you can. You could just use it as is as this is not an important bend, just ugly.

Aug 14, 2017
MacGregpr 25 Brookville
I'm pretty sure I get your gist here (stick something in there and pound on it until its less bent)--- but what is a bfg? You know, just for clarity's sake. :)