New to forum

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I don't know a S9.2 sure seems like a pretty nice first boat to me:) Can't help with specific ideas on leaks, but is a really great idea to address them ASAP like you are now. I rebeded everything on my boat after our first season including the toe rails which all came loose and were replaced.

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
I removed the decked stepped mast on my boat, Jan 2016, during a total refit. In replacing the mast step wed refurbished the step, cut new holes for the electrical, cleared the weep holes and reduced the possibility that the wires in the mast could bring water into the boat by establishing drip loops.
Here is an image of the mast step after install.
View attachment 150050
The old wiring was removed and sealed with 4200 before the mast was reset.

Image of the mast wiring led into the hose establishing the drip loop.
View attachment 150051
Maybe I'm only getting water coming in from the wiring hole. Mine is not under the mast step or at least there is an outside the mast penetration where a wire coming from the mast and goes into boat, (radio), it appears to come off the side and a rubber looking boot attempts to seal it. I will isolate that and seal it up then then see if I can get water to run under mast stepp and leak into cabin. Rotting wood under the mast would be a crushing blow.

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
Maybe I'm only getting water coming in from the wiring hole. Mine is not under the mast step or at least there is an outside the mast penetration where a wire coming from the mast and goes into boat, (radio), it appears to come off the side and a rubber looking boot attempts to seal it. I will isolate that and seal it up then then see if I can get water to run under mast stepp and leak into cabin. Rotting wood under the mast would be a crushing blow.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Actually, I think the previous owner did you a favor. If he/she had put the coax through the nonskid, it would have been through a cored section of the deck. Get rid of the hokey pass thru connector and find one made for the job. There are coax feed thrus that do not take up a lot of real estate. You might have to make a fairing plate due to curvature of the deck to mast.. Get rid of the silicone. Get rid of the silicone...Get rid of the silicone...GET RID OF THE SILICON...There may be only two reasons to have silicon on board. 1) Beckson opening ports (which I’m sure you have) and 2) I dont remember...Lose the silicone and there are many threads concerning such. Use some butyl with a low flow water hose in small areas to isolate water ingress areas. I’m on my third S2..9.2, 11.0a, 11.0a..Their hull/deck joints just do not leak unless “perturbed”. One source of leaks with S2s are the chain plates going through the deck. You will need to raise the deck plate and rebed with a polysulfide every two yrs if not sooner. Hopefully, nobody has used silicone to do it. Nothing sticks to silicone... DID I SAY LOSE THE SILICONE?..I have been experimenting with Main Sails butyl tape on chain plates and having good results. Also wondering why your coax exits the mast so high..If you end up pulling it, I would fix that....

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Get rid of the silicone. Get rid of the silicone...Get rid of the silicone
:plus::plus::plus:
None allowed on my boat at all!! It has no "freeze/thaw" bonding.

Your mast should have weep holes at the base to allow this water to weep out on to the deck. Some weep holes get clogged and water builds up inside the mast.
:plus:
Plugged holes will allow the water to overflow the Dam inside your mast base, into your wiring channel passing through to the cabin!

It took me almost 2 years to trace down the leak sources [5] throughout my new boat.
Trivia: You find the leak in the last place you look!
Jim...

PS: Welcome aboard!:):beer:

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
I will most definitely remove silicone. After it dried I hosed area down again and water did not run into head or not as fast as before anyway. Looking at removing mast video....Ill talk to our boat yard and hard the Boat remove mast and rebed it proper. I tapped deck with screwdriver the sounds comming back were consistent. Debating on getting it surveyed, the Boat is in great condition outside the water issues

May 8, 2018
Allied 42xl Galveston
Wait.....the deck area with no skid is only area where we have balsa..or wood in the core? Is water getting in boat merely rough on the interior and not rotting my boat out?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
You notice the smooth gel coat is 1) vertical surface, 2) areas with sharp and compond curves, 3) between core panels. These areas should be glass with no core. If you pull the mast, you can verify with a dental pick in the coax hole..