New To Forum, with a question

Jul 16, 2016
Sirius21 21 Saint John
Hi all, I've been reading the posts on this forum, this is an excelllent fotum. I just purchased a Sirius 21 a couple of months ago, it was in pretty good shape, but needed a few minor repairs. I am not new to boating owned power boats and canoes in the past , but new to sailing.

Love my Sirius 21, but there are a few things that I am puzzuled over. One is that there is a wire coming out of the transom, it looks like it's part of the original boat, not sure what its for, my best guess would be to connect to an outboard to charge the boat battery.

The nesxt thing is the boat came with a depth gauge, not sure if its original equipment or not, it looks 1980's round dial with a hand that is supposed to move around the numbered dial to indicate water depth, but its not connected to anything, was this original, if so where was the transducer located in the boat.

Thanks in advancemy boat.jpg

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
Hey Fog. I just sold my 84 Sirius in February. Wire not original. I used a solar panel to charge battery. Has a 9hp Tohatsu outboard though. If you do not have a thru hull transducer it was probably a shoot through hull glued to bottom.
I don't think there is a better built boat out there. I did allot of upgrading and enjoyed the boat allot.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Hi Foggy and welcome aboard.
Most likely if near the waterline it is from stern mount depth transducer, if higher up near a motor bracket it went to the engine. What kind of wire is it? You will find that prior owners..PO..have a reputation for doing weird things...unlike we current owners.

Jul 16, 2016
Sirius21 21 Saint John
Thanks for the replies on the "mystery wire". It is a wire that has black insulation on the outside and one black and one red wire inside. I looked at the orignal wiring diagram in the Sirius 21 owners handbook and it doesn't show that wire, it was probally an add on that a previous owner made. Thanks for the replies.

Jul 30, 2016
Sirius 21 Pike Bay ON
Wire through 1" hole in front of motor bracket is probably charging cable. You can confirm by tracing it through the port cockpit locker down into the battery compartment under the cockpit sole.

Depth finder is vintage 1970s. Mine no longer worked so I took it out. Transducer on mine is through the hull. I can see it in the storage locker under the berth just forward of the sink/galley.

Good luck! (Great boat!!)

Jul 16, 2016
Sirius21 21 Saint John
Thanks for the info, Rusty Van Fender, I will follow that wire in the stern to see where it goes, also I will check in the locker for the transducer.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Fog Ducker? .....very classy. Better than Fat Cucker I guess.

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
Now come on Maine Sail.............!!!!! I guess if you're from Canada it's ok?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Now come on Maine Sail.............!!!!! I guess if you're from Canada it's ok?
Uh the Bay of Fundy is where fog was invented. There is an old term, up in these parts, "ducking the fog" refers to hiding out in a harbor or picking the Lee side of an island for a breif respite from the fog...