New tiller stick?

Jan 19, 2019
Oday 27 Hudson, Wisconsin
We broke our old tiller stick and want to craft a new one. Stick with wood? Or has anyone made one out of metal or different material? If wood, any particular kind? (hardwood??)

Thanks!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Some of the Hunters have tubular metal tillers. I replace my Mac 26S tiller with a laminated (sandwiched) wood one from IdaSailor. It was pretty ;)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
There is a video or two on offcenterharbor.com detailing making a laminated tiller. The project would be simplified considerably if they didn’t want a round knob on the end.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Strength is important and with a single piece of wood you always have to worry about the grain. Laminating several pieces of wood together and crossing grain patterns will ensure a very strong stick. You would then need to shape it. Laminate looks very nice in my opinion. I have a store-bought tiller stick

but I have made tillers by laminating. Here are some pics to give you ideas to chew on....
tiller3.jpg
tiller4.jpg
tiller5.jpg

Tiller1.jpg

If you decide to go with a store bought stick... I have this one and really like it.

You can put one of these lock boxes in the gunwale...

By adjusting the length of the stick, you can lock your tiller in any position you like. I use it all of the time when I'm single handing the boat and need to go to the mast. If you go with this model, don't forget to buy this little clip...

When not using the stick, you can fold it back on top of the tiller and clip it in place. Very handy.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Wood has been a typical product. Laminated wood provides strength and can be formed in to a preferred shape with tools available to most DIY boat owners.

How did yours break? This might give you clues as to the type of wood and design you want to use.

Here is a video from the Schaefer Marine folk when they constructed two tillers for the boat their owner was refitting.

Feb 1, 2013
Pearson Wanderer Chesapeake
Boat next to our slip is an S2 about a 24 footer. It has a double bitted ax handle for a tiller on its transom hung rudder.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello sbcwolff,

I can identify with your use of the word "stick" in reference to the tiller. Once, "many and many a year ago in a kingdom by the sea" (actually, the upper Chesapeake Bay) we took home the tiller of our Catalina 27 to refinish it. Upon returning to the boat two weeks later we realized to our horror that the refinished tiller was still at home! We did some beach combing and found an acceptable "stick" that we fashioned into a tiller by drilling two holes at the thicker end and inserting two bolts from the spare parts box. It worked well enough and only made a few cracking noises when we were beating to windward.

ToddS

Sep 11, 2017
Beneteau 373 Cape Cod
Most of my sailing has been done on a 35' boat from the 1960s with a solid teak tiller. Now I have a wheel so I don't need a tiller (beyond the less-than-beautiful-and-less-than-ideal metal emergency tiller that I hope to never need). While there's something cool about pretty much anything that's made from big pieces of solid teak (imho) ... I'd absolutely pick a laminated tiller over a solid one. There's pretty much no chance of a laminated one failing. My solid tiller was only modestly curved, and I sometimes wished it was curvier to avoid crushing the legs of crew sitting nearby... and the curvier ones are even more likely to be laminated, as sawing a curved tiller out of a straight and solid piece of wood would significantly diminish its strength. Seems like it would be kind of fun to make a laminated one too (though I never have). If you do go with solid wood... I'd lean toward hickory or ash or a wood with long, straight grain... Someone brought up axe handles... and while I'm not sure I'd literally repurpose an axe handle as a tiller, it is not the worst idea, as axe handles get a ton of abuse, and rarely ever break... and are almost always made of hickory or ash for that very reason.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I made my tiller from a Douglas Fir 2x6. It is several years old now and just reoiled it again like every year with used motor oil. During my time in college for Industrial Engineering I took a materials class. We tested wood strength as well as motor oil and much more. Most hard woods are cellular in structure and dry very strong but will burst with excess pressure. Pines, furs are fiberous material and tests showed strength superior to Oak and did not explode at level that Oak did. It also stays slightly flexible since it is composed of linear fiber sinews. Motor oil due to its high quality and molecular linkage is a great wood treatment and lasts much longer than any other oil I have used. Chief

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
Post hole digger handle :) ($15) (just ignore the head in the background - it came off the boat for a deep clean ;)
"For some reason the post-hole digger only has one handle... Guess I can't dig those holes today..." :D