New Stern Table

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
1991 Catalina 22 Wing Keel 15202 Nocona
Hi Folks
I know others have created all sorts of DIY accessories for their boat, but I wanted to post a few pics of my latest creation! In Texas, one RARELY cooks inside a boat in summer and I am always looking for a (cheap) little outside cooking table that wo n't eat up cockpit space. This was built from 1/2 in. plywood, a section of 3/4 PVC, and 2 3/4 in. conduit clamps...approx. 12 dollars plus some paint we had hanging around the hangar (no pun intended). The table accommodates my Coleman stove, Walmart BBQ, and in calm water (at anchor) ...a cold beverage!
20180808_160538.jpg 20180808_160659.jpg 20180808_160641.jpg 20180808_160441.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Thanks for posting. That is very nice. Putting the table on the outside of the rail looks like it works quite well when bbq'ing. Does it stay attached and just drop under the rail or do you remove it for stowage when you're done using it?

- Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks for posting. That is very nice. Putting the table on the outside of the rail looks like it works quite well when bbq'ing. Does it stay attached and just stop under the rail or do you remove it for stowagem when you're done using it?

- Will (Dragonfly)
Hi Will
Thank you for the nice comments. Currently, the plan is to store it and only use it at anchorage. The table is very secure on the rail and I suppose one could lash down a bbq in use while under way.

Ken

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'm sure I double checked my posts before I hit [Post Reply], but those pesky typos still seem to creep in on me. Drives me nuts :confused:.

I have a small boat and am looking for ideas for a serviceable cockpit table that won't take-up space, so thanks for posting.

- Will (Dragonfly)

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
I'm thinking we should meet up this fall and do some sailing/exchanging stories...ideas...and I stick to my original offer of a cold :beer:!!!!

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
My young son said to me one day while standing down in the cabin, "I see this end of the curved tiller is level with the traveler on the stern pulpit, could a table sit on those points without a table leg?"

The only problem I've found with this table is that the fiddle on the back does not have enough open slots to allow the morning dew to be pushed off the top in the morning.
2table.jpg
4table.jpg

Attachments

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
So does yours! Space out of thin air, it's a wonderful thing. :thumbup:
When Sharlene and I retired, we spent 5 years traveling full time in our motorhome. We agreed from the start that everything should have at least 2 functions. We try to carry that over to the boat . There's been talk that I may not qualify for that concept! :waycool:

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
This tiller table is GENIUS definitely building one for myself (once the first round of projects is done

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
My young son said to me one day while standing down in the cabin, "I see this end of the curved tiller is level with the traveler on the stern pulpit, could a table sit on those points without a table leg?"
Many people don't realize that the cabin table on a "New Design" will "just" fit on that traveller, between the tubing.

I have yet to modify our table with some spacers on the bottom so it will sit above the traveller car, but it's on my todo list.
I initially planned to make a tiller table, but since I found out the cabin table will fit, it's one less thing to store on the boat.

(I may still make a small 28" square table to sit on the cockpit seats below the rudder, for quick lunches)

I have two tables just like that, one on each side. Except mine double as solar panels.
I wish I could do that. Unfortunately our rectangular Kuuma BBQ is mounted on the starboard side. The port side has just enough room for our 40 watt panel, with a life ring hooked below it. We have to pivot the panel vertical to access the life ring, but it works well enough. I've been pondering putting fids on the panel to make a half hearted attempt at stopping stuff from rolling off when it's used as a table.

Last edited:

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
Many people don't realize that the cabin table on a "New Design" will "just" fit on that traveller, between the tubing.

I have yet to modify our table with some spacers on the bottom so it will sit above the traveller car, but it's on my todo list.
I initially planned to make a tiller table, but since I found out the cabin table will fit, it's one less thing to store on the boat.

(I may still make a small 28" square table to sit on the cockpit seats below the rudder, for quick lunches)
Hmmmm...now I'm thinking... As I have mentioned, Sharlene and I traveled full time in a motorhome for 5 years. We agreed that everything that came into the RV must have at least two functions...it seemed logical to apply that thinking to the boat.
The mention of using the existing table as a cockpit table fits that model perfectly! Since that idea wont work in my case, I was thinking maybe I could create a cockpit table that could slide into a pocket UNDER our dinette table. Not exactly two uses for one thing, but would provide an additional function at the cost of almost no storage space.

Ideas??? Thoughts??? yes, even criticism!!! Innovation builds upon each thought or idea!

Ken

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Since that idea wont work in my case, I was thinking maybe I could create a cockpit table that could slide into a pocket UNDER our dinette table. Not exactly two uses for one thing, but would provide an additional function at the cost of almost no storage space.
Won't work due to table width or something ? or due to your own usage ideas ?
I'm curious if it's doable, with some mounting modifications, on the early C22.

Having a cockpit table slide under the main table would work well enough. Some L "brackets" of metal or scrap wood, and it would slide right in, and could be locked into place with another piece of wood.

I have a keyboard tray mounted under ours, to hold paper charts and traditional navigation tools. It hasn't caused any real problem with leg room.

Another option on the older boats: make the cockpit table so it hinges, and store it in a hanging bag or something in the port cockpit locker ? Lot of room in there and easy access from where the table will be in use.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I built a chart tray under our table also. No legroom issues.

One caveat about that table BTW. If you heel hard enough to starboard, it will slide out and smash someone's shins, if it gets the chance.

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
I built a chart tray under our table also. No legroom issues.

One caveat about that table BTW. If you heel hard enough to starboard, it will slide out and smash someone's shins, if it gets the chance.
Hi Gene
Thanks for the heads up about the leg room issue, although in my case I only worry about stuff coming up from the bilge to get me! Curse or blessing, I have a little HEADROOM in a '22 (I'm 5'3")! Sharlene on the other hand is a whole 'nother story (tall)! I was thinking of making the "table pocket" run fore and aft...my measurements show that I have 24x32.5 space not counting overhead (being the slides to capture the table). My cockpit( at the leg room part...is that even a term?!?!?) measures 24" wide allowing me to make a table about 30" x 22" which works about right. Our goal is to come up with a table that doesn't use up too much of the cockpit. This table we speak of would only spend a short time in the cockpit anyway...drinks and such can find their way to a much smaller space!

Always glad for your input, Gene! :plus:

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
How wide is the traveller on the original design C22 ? Would the interior table fit there ?